Dual monitors, this is sweet!

Pages: 123
So I finally gave in and went out and bought myself a second monitor. I don't know why I waited this long! This is amazing. No more alt-tabbing to look up documentation is great. I can now actually have a project open full-screen, and be reading docs at the same time! So cool. Not to mention I can now watch netflix while I play D3 :D
I know right? It is on the programmers must have list.
Yea no kidding. Best purchase I've made in awhile.
I agree. Dual monitors are where its at. I wonder how triple monitors would be... Maybe this formula can answer:
awesomeness = constMonitorValuenumberOfMonitors 
... I've been running a tri-head setup for years (and for a short period I had five hooked up. Mind you, these monitors were very very mismatched and most weren't any where near high quality)

edit: not mine, but do want for the shear amount of cool looking http://i.imgur.com/9kjnt.jpg
Last edited on
They have all that and only just surf the web ;). Can't imagine how much heat that setup puts off.
Or you could use a tilling windows manager. Like ratpoison.
... but multiple monitors looks cooler.
@ne555 dual 24s with i3wm... nuf said.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
If you give a programmer N amount of monitors, they will find at least N amount of programs to have open across all monitors at once. It doesn't matter how much real-estate you have, you can always justify having more ;)

Just bought my 3rd monitor, saving up for a 4th.
Command Center !!

Someday

darkestfright so true... I just don't have space on my desk for another... D=
I only have one screen. Though it is 27", so I've still got a fair bit of space. :-)
I've never needed more than one and never needed anything over 19". So I have a 19" AOC monitor. Though, I could use a new tower as the fans run hard when I do almost anything (especially Minecraft or such...but it is only 6 years old :-/).
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Specter, once you try it you won't want to go back ;)
I had a chap on my team at work a few years ago who only used one. Watching him context switch between windows too big to have both on the monitor at once was painful. I got him another monitor and the improvement in his "flow", so to speak, was very clear to see.

Nobody needs more than one; we could do it all on a single 14" VGA monitor. It's just far, far easier to do it on (at least) two big monitors.
Last edited on
Specter, once you try it you won't want to go back ;)

Will never try it, don't have the money to get a second monitor and don't have the space on my desk for a second one.
Nobody needs more than one; we could do it all on a single 14" VGA monitor. It's just far, far easier to do it on (at least) two big monitors.

I'm a programmer, I don't worry about easier. :P
I literally won't take a job somewhere that won't supply at least two monitors (which, to be fair, has not been an issue for almost a decade now). Not only is it ridiculously frustrating to have to work on such a small amount of screen space, but the corporate short-sightedness of it is a very bad indicator of company values.
A programmer's must have.
If possible, make it 3. your productivity will be increase magnificently according to ModShop's formula

I could use an extra monitor or two, especially since I like to watch movies while programming. I don't have the space, though :(
Pages: 123