Dual monitors, this is sweet!

Pages: 123
I could use an extra monitor or two, especially since I like to watch movies while programming. I don't have the space, though :(

Somehow I doubt if Modshop's equation still holds here.
ModShop's equation was for awesomeness, not productivity.
Ya, production OF awesomeness.
haha. Some people need something in the background to concentrate on their work.
I work much better with music, so why not watch movies while working ;)

I love my two monitors and I'd definitelxy go for a third one if I had space on my desk!
closed account (zb0S216C)
I'd have a second monitor, but my desk is too small. However, I can easily mount it on the wall with an adjustable bracket.

Wazzak
I work much better with music, so why not watch movies while working ;)

Some consider music with lyrics to be distracting and same with movies. They think they will distract you from working so that you will watch them instead of work.
I work all day with Pandora playing. I work just fine
I don't listen to anything or watch anything myself when coding. Though I don't listen much music anyways :-/.
I find that movie during work is impossible and it doesn't make sense.
But music is perfectly OK. just nothing too loud.

I use both screen for writing code. mostly to compare the 2 files like declaration and definition ...

I just cant work with just 1 screen any more. it makes me feel uncomfortable
But music is perfectly OK. just nothing too loud.

Yea, of course. I normally listen to songs I already know so I don't really pay attention to the lyrics or preferrable to instrumental music without any lyrics ;)
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I use both screen for writing code. mostly to compare the 2 files like declaration and definition ...

Any decent editor let's you have split editor panes or tabs, much more convenient if you ask me.

I usually have IRC/IM and the documentation I need on one window, and my IDE fullscreen on other. Add having multiple virtual desktops on a Linux desktop workstation: quasi- infinite space.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Anybody have a monitor that rotates 360 degrees ? Rotating screen sideways, getting all that extra room up/down to view more lines of code.
Any decent editor let's you have split editor panes or tabs, much more convenient if you ask me

I think this is really just preference, and highly resolution and size dependent. If you have a smaller monitor/lower resolution monitor, that really cuts down your space.

But yea, I go with the documentation on one monitor, and IDE fullscreen in the other as well. With a linux VM opened floating around somewhere, you know just in case :D
Once you go to two monitors, you'll never go back.

3 monitors is even better, but it's not as world defining as 2 monitors.

Sometimes when I go in-field I have to use my laptop with no extended monitor and it's a PAIN!
Yeah, using a laptop in-field is kindof a pain. Luckily I can use Ubuntu that gives me multiple workspaces, at the least.
I've tried using two monitors, twice now, but I hate it, it is really distracting and moving your sight from one to the other doesn't feel natural, 1 nice size monitor is all I need.
1 nice size monitor is all I need.

A single 50 inch monitor would be neat, but two smaller ones is all I can budget for.
Last edited on
that's just insanely big though, I'd have to sit a meter away just to see the whole screen, mid 20's is enough and maybe low 30's, I have a 24 inch I think
Everyone's different. I find looking from one monitor to the other is as disruptive as looking from one window to another (on one monitor) - that is, I don't even notice.

A single 24 inch monitor presents so little space that it would (and indeed, when I have to use just one monitor, clearly does) affect the rate at which I work.
A single 50 inch monitor would be neat, but two smaller ones is all I can budget for.

Only if the resolution is ridiculously high. A 50" 1080p screen gives you the exact same screen real-estate as a 23" 1080p screen.
Pages: 123