Favourite all time programmers/computer scientists?

Pages: 123
Hello, just thought I would start a nice discussion dedicated to some of the more publicy un-sung heros of our digital age. Basicly, who are your favourate programmers/computer scientists and why? Mine are:

John Carmack - He set the bar for modern computer gaming and shaped how modern game developers create their games, even if alot of them do abuse this gift with games like Call of Duty of Halo.

Bjarne Stroustrup - Because without him we wouldent be here on a C++ forum

Dennis Ritchie - For doing almost everything

Richard Stallman - For launching the GNU project, and I share his views on software freedom
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
John Carmack - 'nuff said.

Linus Torvalds - 'nuff said.

'nuff said.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
John Carmack - 'nuff said.

Mr. Carmack will always be #1 in my eyes.

I can't say too much about the open source nut-jobs founders of open source schemes...at least not without offending them ;)

Last edited on
Sergey Zubkov.
Walter Bright.
Marshall Cline.
Yossi Kreinin.

Edit: typo.
Last edited on
I only recognize 3 names up here :3 and why no Alan Turing?
closed account (1yR4jE8b)

Sergey Zubkov.
Walter Bright.
Marshall Cline.
Yossi Kreinin.

I have never heard of these people. In favor of keeping the conversation going (instead of googling it), what are their contributions to computer software?

Also, Zeph, I think Alan Turing makes the list without even mentioning.
I googled them but forgot completely with a few minutes, I think one of them was a C+Unix dev, and another wrote a compiler plus an old strategy game.
Catfish2 wrote:
Sergey Zubkov.

Um, wut? The book has never been translated into English, it's not going to be of interest to the audience here.
The thread asked for people's favourites, not recommendations for English speakers.
Jacquard loom
Dennis Richie. printf("Goodbye, world!");
Jun'ya Ota
Alan Turing
Charles Babbage (sp?)
Bjarne Stroustrup & Gabe Newell.
steve jobs is better then any1 because he invented the graphical gui interface before any1 else and he revolutionized the computing world if it wasnt 4 him we would still b using command line!. R.I.P steve jobs always will be best innovator in computing.
John von Neumann
Edsger Dijkstra
Donald Knuth
closed account (j2NvC542)
Try harder, Naureg.

Bjarne Stroustrup for this beautiful language and a great book.
Try harder, Naureg.

:(
closed account (j2NvC542)
Wait... You aren't serious, are you?
Greenblatt and Gosper and Roberta Williams.

if it wasnt 4 him we would still b using command line

I am still using the command line. :p
Last edited on
steve jobs is better then any1 because he invented the graphical gui interface before any1 else and he revolutionized the computing world if it wasnt 4 him we would still b using command line!
Don't be silly, Apple stole took the GUI from Xerox.

I think there's a whole generation out there who think Apple invented computing.
Last edited on
I have definitely had conversations with people who think Apple invented the mp3 player.
Pages: 123