Favourite all time programmers/computer scientists?

Pages: 123
I think there's a whole generation out there who think Apple invented computing.

I kno they didnt 'invent computing' it was windows/microsoft that did that, its just apple made the gui which made computer so much better
Xerox PARC, the innovation wunderkind of its day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_graphical_user_interface
Last edited on
As bad as it is, I'm sure there are people that think Apple developed everything (including the phone). Probably think Bell worked for Apple way back then ;). Makes you wonder if they think Bjarne worked for Apple too :o.

As for favs, Gabe Newell, Bjarne Stroustrup, Ed Boon, John Carmack, and Cliff Bleszinski.
closed account (j2NvC542)
Cliffy has an amazing wife.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I kno they didnt 'invent computing' it was windows/microsoft that did that

ಠ_ಠ
I feel your pain, darkestfright.
I feel your pain, darkestfright.

I second that...

I kno they didnt 'invent computing' it was windows/microsoft that did that, its just apple made the gui which made computer so much better

Apple didnt invent the GUI, and Microsoft didnt 'invent' computing, argubly Charles Babbage invented computing with his diffrence engine (I know you could go further back than this and find older examples of computers but I am just making a point)

R.I.P steve jobs always will be best innovator in computing.

I know Steve Jobs death was sad, but around the same time as his death, Dennis Ritchie died too, but very few people knew or cared, because he wasent recognized over the late Steve Jobs, despite that fact that he made a MUCH larger contribution to modern-day computing that he did. So R.I.P Dennis Ritchie, please join me in a minutes silence now...
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
darkestfright wrote:
John Carmack - 'nuff said.

Donald Knuth - Knuth said
I kno they didnt 'invent computing' it was windows/microsoft that did that

ಠ_ಠ

He must have read that on Microsoft's homepage.
Dijkstra, hands down
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
invent computing

Maybe he meant that Microsoft invented intuitive, easy to use, idiot-proof computing.
Luc Lieber wrote:
Maybe he meant that Microsoft invented intuitive, easy to use, idiot-proof computing.

Nah, only thing Microsoft invented was the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).
Luc Lieber wrote:
He would still be wrong.
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were/are not programmers or computer scientists, they are/were business men. They arnt/werent in it to improve computing in the future, they just want/wanted money. That is one of the reasons I now use Debian
I wish game developers supported linux, I'd switch to it in a heartbeat, it gives me headaches like hell but the amount of fun I have with it is incredible.

unfortunately they don't, so I have to stay on windows :[
Owain wrote:
They arnt/werent in it to improve computing in the future, they just want/wanted money.
I would disagree, in guiding their companies they have done a lot to improve computing in the future.
I wish game developers supported linux, I'd switch to it in a heartbeat, it gives me headaches like hell but the amount of fun I have with it is incredible.

unfortunately they don't, so I have to stay on windows :[

WINE supports alot of games dosent it? You could try Steam for Linux
closed account (j2NvC542)
Unfortunately Steam for Linux isn't out yet.
To get this thread back on track, some my favorite computer scientists:

Howard Hinnant - for inventing unique_ptr and other cool parts of C++11, for single-handedly writing the C++ standard library for clang++, and for being active and helpful in the community.
Scott Meyers - for his tireless lectures and because his first book made me interested in C++
John Lakos - for figuring out large-scale software design and proving that by managing 150 million lines of code. And for fixing the C++ allocators.
Agner Fog - for inspirational works on low-level optimizations
Roger Hui - for the mad genius of J
Manfred von Thun - for giving Forth its own programming paradigm
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
single-handedly writing the C++ standard library for clang++

Seriously? That's pretty badass.
Pages: 123