Favourite all time programmers/computer scientists?

Pages: 123
closed account (z05DSL3A)
George Boole for the mathematical foundations of computer science.
Nah, only thing Microsoft invented was the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).

Well, they made it so people could blame bad Windows Driver Developers (Many times they are even MS people)
EssGeEich wrote:
Well, they made it so people could blame bad Windows Driver Developers (Many times they are even MS people)

People blame developers for everything even when it is an error due to the user's own stupidity. I've seen tons of users, for example, complain about Allegro then find that the issue is because they forgot to update their drivers.
user's own stupidity
Stupid users?
John McCarthy for giving us LISP and being the father of Artificial Intelligence
I've seen tons of users, for example, complain about Allegro then find that the issue is because they forgot to update their drivers.

Yeah, well, but if you needed a driver update probably means that in old drivers there is a bug. But it can also be justified if maybe there is some additional feature in the new drivers.
Last edited on
closed account (zb0S216C)
Countess Augusta Ada King; as gay as it sounds.

Wikipedia wrote:
"Her notes on the engine include what is recognised as the first algorithm intended to be processed by a machine; thanks to this, she is sometimes considered the world's first computer programmer."

Wazzak
Countess Augusta Ada King; as gay as it sounds.
I had never heard of her referred to as that, she's commonly known as Ada Lovelace.
It's not really gay. I mean, if someone said "Countess Augusta Ada King" to me I don't think my first thought would be "he's sexually attracted to males".
Well I believe the proper way to say her name is Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace. Just like Catherine Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge.
How about Grace Hopper.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (December 9, 1906 – January 1, 1992) was an American computer scientist and United States Navy officer. A pioneer in the field, she was one of the first programmers of the Harvard Mark I computer, and developed the first compiler for a computer programming language.[1][2][3][4][5] She conceptualized the idea of machine-independent programming languages, which led to the development of COBOL, one of the first modern programming languages. She is credited with popularizing the term "debugging" for fixing computer glitches (motivated by an actual moth removed from the computer, and not by her). Due to the breadth of her accomplishments and her naval rank, she is sometimes referred to as "Amazing Grace." The U.S. Navy destroyer USS Hopper (DDG-70) is named for her, as was the Cray XE6 "Hopper" supercomputer at NERSC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
BHXSpecter wrote:
Well I believe the proper way to say her name is Augusta Ada King, Countess of Lovelace. Just like Catherine Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge.
If you want to get pedantic I believe that the proper Title and style for referring to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge is:
Her Royal Highness Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus.
Last edited on
I want to say something funny/sarcastic about that title, but I won't, because I'm proper.
I want to say something funny/sarcastic about the dead content of this thread, but I won't, because I'm nice.
Im gonna say Carmack for sure!
Grey Wolf wrote:
If you want to get pedantic I believe that the proper Title and style for referring to Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge is:
Her Royal Highness Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus.

Yes, in UK, in US they are lucky we even bother with the Catherine Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge. We are a lazy society, look at all the things they are making so we don't have to mess with any hard work. Cleaning supplies that change colours when it is clean, procedures that help weight loss without exercise, etc.
Catfish2 wrote:
I want to say something funny/sarcastic about the dead content of this thread, but I won't, because I'm nice.

I want to point out that statement counts as saying something sarcastic about the dead content of this thread, and but I wont, because I just did.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123