Free good programs to try out!

I have made a bio creator for download with c++

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?9x0zd8j0bjg0bsu
Last edited on
Give the source code.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I don't download binaries. Host your code on Github/Bitbucket/Sourceforge or Google Code and the link here.
Last edited on
It's a nice little script, the people above me are just being overly hostile, but yeah you would get a better response if you simply posted your code for it here so we can compile it ourselves, make sure it is inside of the [code] tags though.

Hopefully you'll make some other stuff that we can look at.
It's not 'hostile' to be wary of executables uploaded onto the Internet by people you don't know. It's naive not to be.

I won't download software published by someone I can't trust without the source code. I want to compile it myself because I want the guarantee that what the person says the executable does is what it actually does.
I understand that, and I feel the same when it comes to people using facebook because of their data harvesting, but even I know it isn't that serious, so this program might trigger your anti virus, shutdown your pc, maybe even attempt to trasmit data over the internet (which would be your own fault for not having a good fire wall).

well it works fine, it asks you for your name, age, gender, then outputs it and closes.
You assume that's all it does.
because I have no reason to assume otherwise, I nor any of my software detected malicious behaviour, if I knew assembly I'd deconstruct it and prove it to you, but I don't and I can't, so we'll just have to wait for him to post his source code.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
because I have no reason to assume otherwise

That's exactly what malware writers are banking on. Have you heard of the Android virus that piggybacks on a *completely legit* version of the Opera Mini browser?

http://www.zdnet.com/warning-new-android-malware-tricks-users-with-real-opera-mini-7000001586/

I don't download from strangers, and I rarely use software that isn't open-source. Anti-virus's and anti-malware software isn't perfect, and doesn't catch new malware until it first gets discovered, then definitions get updated in the software -- which could take weeks, months, years depending on the sophistication of the software.

I'm not "hostile", and this isn't personal, I'm just skeptical when some random-guy-on-the-internet says "Try my program, here's the executable but you can't see my code!", especially on a forum dedicated to programming and posting code.
Ok! I will post my source code around 3:15pm so be awake!!!
(which would be your own fault for not having a good fire wall).

Firewalls don't usually care about outbound traffic. They assume the user is smart enough to not download and run random executables
#include <iostream>
#include <cstring>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
	char name[50];
	char occ[50];
	char nick[50];
	char gender[10];
	int age;

cout<<"\tThis tool by Aceix is used to make an intro essay about oneself.";
	cout<<"\n\n\nPlease enter you fullname: ";
	cin.getline ( name, 50 );
	cout<<"What is your nickname:";
	cin.getline ( nick, 50 );
	cout<<"\n\nWhich occupation do you do?"<<endl;
	cin.getline ( occ, 50 );
	cout<<"\n\nAre you a male or a female?"<<endl;
	cin.getline ( gender, 10 );
	cout<<"\n\nHow old are you?"<<endl;
	cin>>age;
	cout<<"\n\n\nYour name is "<<strlen( name )<<" character(s) long.";
	cout<<"\n\n\tThis is your bio:";
	cout<<"\n\n"<<name<<" is my name.\nI am a "<<gender<<" of "<<age<<" years.\nI am a "<<occ<<".\nI am also known as "<<nick<<".";
	cin.get();
	cin.get();
}
great
Any reason why you made gender 10 characters? They should be limited to male and female.
It is pointless to artificially limit the input length anyway.
This is how to do it correctly:

string name;
string occ;
[...]
getline(cin,name);
getline(cin,occ);
[...]
This is how to do it correctly:
string name;
string occ;
[...]
getline(cin,name);
getline(cin,occ);
[...]

You are using c++ style strings and I'm using C style strings and therefore, there must be a limit.
But why not use C++ strings when coding in C++?
AlitCandle wrote:
Any reason why you made gender 10 characters? They should be limited to male and female.

Male, female, and transgend? ;)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.