Programming 'mind-block' aviodence

I guess this may be more for hobbiest programmers, but I was just curious to see if my fellow programmers get as distracted as I do when reaching a difficult or awkward part of programming. Today for example, I was writing a natrual language anyalis function for my chatbot and I wasted about 10 minutes watching a squirrel outside, and another 20 minutes deciding what to eat for lunch, before going out for a few hours and then coming back to finish it. Anyway, my main point of discussion is, does anyone have any good methords for really cracking on with projects without getting so easily distracted?
closed account (j2NvC542)
A squirrel! *-* I like squirrels. They're kinda cute.
I don't get distracted actually. My little brother distracts me with his coming-into-my-room-and-babbling. I don't think about food while programming, I don't care that I'm lonely, everything is just fine. This is why I love programming. It lets me relax. There's no better activity for me that I can do.
Last edited on
Happens to me too, heh. I always find myself jumping to random stuff online when I get to stuff like that.

I dunno, usually I just notice I'm doing that and just force myself back to programming. Willpower, I guess.
A squirrel! *-* I like squirrels. They're kinda cute.
I don't get distracted actually. My little brother distracts me with his coming-into-my-room-and-babbling. I don't think about food while programming, I don't care that I'm lonely, everything is just fine. This is why I love programming. It lets me relax. There's no better activity for me that I can do.
I know what you mean, there is a sort of undefinable tranquility to programming, that is, when its going well for you...
closed account (zb0S216C)
Owain wrote:
"I wasted about 10 minutes watching a squirrel outside"

Close your blinds/curtains.

Owain wrote:
"20 minutes deciding what to eat for lunch"

Decide beforehand.

I tend to work more productively at night with no lights on, except for the monitor, of course. With the entire room in darkness, and the monitor in front of me, I haven't got anything else to look at, except for the monitor. My keyboard lights up so I can see it.

Have you considered you might have a short attention span?

Wazzak
Last edited on
Have you considered you might have a short attention span?
Well prehaps, but I only loose focus on my project when it starts to get really difficult. Its a bad habit that I need to break out of. I tend to have the TV on when im programming because I hate working in complete silence, but that distracts me too...
I tend to have the TV on when im programming because I hate working in complete silence, but that distracts me too...

You could try playing some music in the background or something.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
This site distracts me. :-\
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Owain wrote:
I tend to have the TV on when im programming because I hate working in complete silence, but that distracts me too...
Have you tried an ambient sound track? It's a bit hippieish but I find it works. With the TV or music on I get distracted but with things like rain storms bird song, or just the window open and the noise of the outside world.

When I "can't see the wood for the trees", I go for a quick walk or make a cup of coffee anything so my brain can dump the details.
closed account (j2NvC542)
If there is something I don't know how to do, I usually lean back and think. I don't have much to distract me except from my brother. However I have a different problem. Sometimes I am too lazy to program, even though I know I would certainly get soaked in again as soon as I start. Weird.
Well, interestingly if I listen to classical music I seem to program harder. Its interesting what diffrent sorts of music and sounds can effect your concerntraition. If I do work in complete silence however, I work very well, but I easily loose focus and feel bored very quickly.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.