• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Have a chance to learn Java and Python -

Have a chance to learn Java and Python - Should I take it?

I want to learn C++ more (Been doing it for a year and a half now), but that's all they have; would it help me in any way? All the jobs I've been looking in (Mostly game programming) wants C++, C, or C#. Does Java or Python help in any way besides the "I know two more languages"?
Python is a scripting language, and I've seen it used in pair with C++ programs, so it wouldn't hurt to learn something like that.

Java on the other hand is another programming language. Java is huge, but only because you need to have Java installed on your computer in order to run any Java program.

I might be wrong here, but essentially Java is similar to a Virtual Machine. The developers have designed Java to have complete access to your computer (hardware and software) regardless of OS or system (Java programs can be run on smart phones, printers, etc.) Java is the definition of standard, but at the very cost of having to install software just to use it (think of trying to run a Windows game on Linux).

Granted, most OS's ship with a version of Java and Sun has spent a lot of time and money trying to perfect their software and language. I've done Java once before, but I wasn't much of a fan. I also tried VB and liked that, but once I started with C++, I fell in love.

Summary, take them. They'll reinforce programming structuring to you, show you how to do the same thing (Hello World) in different languages, and then you can decide what you feel more comfortable with.

Personally, I thought about switching languages a while back, but C++ is fun, Java felt like work, and I don't want a hobby to be work.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
I don't like the fact that Java forces you to a certain format that I think is rubbish and hard to read. You can split a big function into another file (to my knowledge) and it just becomes messy. I like formatting my code my own way and being forced into a format I don't like just doesn't sit right with me.
You can split a big function into another file

If you are trying to write a large function and split it up between files, you're doing things wrong (and that's not something it allows anyways, each class has it's own file and functions must exist within classes)
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Mistype. I meant "can't". Wouldn't make sense if it "can" do something, it implies optional. While I was saying how it lacked those options.
Last edited on
well, Java is totaly like C/C++.
i mean for, while, if, even functions are same.
you can learn it easily and it's helpful
and it help you learn new things, which you can do on cplusplus with a little change

i dont know anything about python.
I'll say take em all. But be practising all or you might forget some or be confused.
Python and Lua are the popular two scripting languages. Not bothered with Java outside the hello world app.
Python is my go to scripting language. I've been using Java a lot lately because I've been doing a lot of app development for android, as such it's pretty much my go to general purpose language.

That said Scala is growing on me.

Anyways, I'd recommend taking the class. Knowing Java and C++ will help you learn C# (well, it did for me anyways). And python is a handy tool to keep in your pocket.
Yes absolutely. Knowing C++ and Java helps learn C# as it seems C# combines a lot of things from Java and C++.
Alright, I'm going to take it! Thanks!
Well, if you're just out for C# then you should probably just learn C# though. While C# is intentionally somewhat similar to C++ and supposedly unintentionally similar to Java, there are differences. Specifically, the kind of subtle differences that will come and bite you if you try to program C# while your brain is in C++ mode.
I'm not going to mention the D language.
You just did.
Unfortunately D is a niche language not used anywhere seriously in industry (compared to Java and Python). It could be a great language, but the community screwed things up - they seem to not have a clue where they are heading. After almost 10 years of development they still don't have a production ready compiler* and runtime**.

Is fine to learn as a hobby, or if you want to study language design, though.

* no 64-bit support, and still far behind Java and C++ in performance
** no low-pause GC
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.