Work in computer science

I've looked around and the information seems to vary, I'm a long way off being in a position to be looking for a career in CS, but the knowledge ahead of time can't hurt, I guess.

As a generalisation:

What job titles could one expect after graduating with a master's in CS?

What would that job entail?

In what position would you expect to be in after 2, 5, 10 years of starting the job?

What wages would you expect from that job title/position in that job?

(Also aware that a 'generalisation' isn't really enough for a subject as extensive as CS, sorry)
A career in CS, or in programming, or in IT?
Work in computer science
CS
master's in CS
Then your choices are academia, probably involving staying on to do a phD and following whatever academic CS track there is, or impressing a big company that does actual CS research (of which there are not many).

The wages in academia will be pitiful. Going private, you'd probably have to start as a programmer and edge towards the CS. Junior programmer wages vary wildly.
are looking to be in management or research?. What specialty. Im going for software engineering/development.
Is CE (computer engineering) any better, or will it give you more opportunity?
I recall a university in which Computer Engineering and Computer Science were literally identical. The degree name was just changed depending on whether the government was handing out more money for engineering or science.
The wages in academia will be pitiful. Going private, you'd probably have to start as a programmer and edge towards the CS. Junior programmer wages vary wildly.

In Belgium, a PhD salary is higher than most starting jobs, even for Engineers, Lawyers and medical Doctors.

Once they get higher up in the private sector, they of course earn more and more, while a PhD stays roughly equal throughout its duration.
So essentially a job in which you call yourself a computer scientist sucks.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.