Is c# worth learning

I see that many people does games in c++ and then úse c# to make tools for the game in there. I mean, making a GUI in c++ takes some time. can anyone agree with this statement or does anyone have any comments on it?

I feel for learning a new language soon and i think the windows API is very boring to use but i feel that i need to learn it. Maybe can c# learn me more about it?
Last edited on
C# is kinda fun because it's purely OO. Though I heard somewhere that the .NET framework is slowly losing ground... Could be wrong though
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Where did you hear this? Visual Studio 2012 just came out with .Net 4.5 and a bunch of nice improvements in C#, VB, all languages that use the .Net framework. I'm making a "Modern UI" app right now with C# and XAML and it's an absolute pleasure and really easy to get into.
@darkestfright,
What do you mean by "modern UI"? Got any screenshots, for example?
Yeah C# and .NET are definitely not losing ground, I'd use Windows 8 as evidence.

And who cares if they are, C# would probably be quite useful anyway for your game making tools?
Last edited on
"Modern UI" is what Microsoft used to call Metro, but they lost a court case in Germany (I think) and they are being forced to change the name at the last minute.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4051770/win8coreapps_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg
Last edited on
No offense to you guys but my question wasnt really answered
Last edited on
No offense to you guys but my question wasnt really answered

Your question is not answerable. Is it worth me learning Portuguese? Without knowing the environment in which I'm going to need to communicate to people, the question is unanswerable. Is it worth you learning C#? Unasnwerable for much the same reason.

If you want to learn C# in the hopes that you'll absorb knowledge about the Win32 API, why not just explore the Win32 API?
+1 Moschops

The worth you're going to find in learning the language is going to be based on your goals as far as what you want to make, the people you're going to work with, if you care about being (mostly) tied down to Windows, etc... All things that are different on a case-by-case basis.

Either way, my default answer for "should I learn X" is always yes. I have never heard of a single case where learning a new skill has been detrimental.

You won't learn anything about the Win32 API with C#. When you make GUIs in C#, you generally use Winforms along with the .Net Framework which is completely different than Win32 (and in Windows 8 you'd have to learn the WinRT API). You can use native calls to system dlls and use win32 calls in your code, but the syntax required makes your program look hacky at best.
Okay. Now it feels a bit more answered. Thank you
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.