Personality Type

Pages: 12
For the past few years I've been interested in personality typing, so I've created this thread for the members of this forum to share their personality type, as well as for general personality typing discussion. If you share what type you are, please say what system you're using.

To get things started, under the Myers-Briggs system (which is the system I'm the most well-versed in) I'm either an INFJ or an INTP, though I lean a little towards INFJ, I believe.
Last edited on
I'm either INTP or INTJ (let's say 60-40), although I find myself best described by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architect_%28role_variant%29
I'm an ENFJ on the Myers-Briggs system. I've gotten the same result three times in the past three years, although it's only a 1% Judgement.
Never done one of these, but I just got INTJ (78, 75, 75, 44) on the Myers-Briggs. Which sounds pretty right.
Stupid Question: where do you get tested?
I just googled Myers-Briggs test
@Resident Biscuit: Which link?
Just got tested at:www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp
And i am INTJ (78, 38, 25, 33)
Are there any other test like this, it was fun
is this another meaningless test like IQ tests ???
I've done these tests several times, and I've got both INTP and ENTP, but they're in no way accurate or scientific. It's a bunch of pseudo-science created by two non-scientists based on the writings of renowned pseudo-scientist Carl Jung.
Well, duh. It's psychology. What did you expect?
It's not, though. Psychology is a soft/social science, this just isn't science at all.
Last edited on
I've done these tests several times, and I've got both INTP and ENTP, but they're in no way accurate or scientific. It's a bunch of pseudo-science created by two non-scientists based on the writings of renowned pseudo-scientist Carl Jung.

Many of the Myers-Briggs tests on the internet (like the ones on Human Metrics) are complete bullshit, so you're correct there. Those tests are not only based on incorrect science, but the questions are worded in such a way that 90% of the people who take the test will get a result of either INTJ or ENTJ (notice how almost everyone who posted results said they were an INTJ?). The incorrectness of both these tests and almost all of the type descriptions (like the ones on personalitypage.com) on the internet comes from false conclusions that non-scientists have made that have been copied and pasted all over the internet. So to all of the people who took the test on humanmetrics, I would ignore your results: they're probably wrong.

I could go on for many more paragraphs describing the faults of the Myers-Briggs system (and if someone wants me to, I could try) but right now I don't have the inclination to do so, so I'll leave it at this: The letters system they created is bullshit and determining your type by determining whether or not you're a "Feeler" or "Thinker" and so on is a horrible way to do so.

However, Carl Jung (a fantastic psychologist who was a student of Sigmund Freud and the "father" of the idea of Archetypes) postulated something called "cognitive functions" that can be used to accurately determine someones personality type. He hypothesized 8 cognitive functions (which are Extroverted Thinking, Introverted Thinking, Extroverted Intuition, Introverted Intuition, Extroverted Feeling, Introverted Feeling, Extroverted Sensing and Introverted Sensing), and that we primarily use four of these. The function that develops first (usually in your early childhood) and that you use the most frequently is called your dominant function. After your dominant function you have an auxiliary function that develops around the time that you're a teenager and you use in conjunction with your dominant function. You then have a tertiary function that develops in early adulthood that you use when your other two functions need a break. And finally, you have an inferior function that develops around the time your middle aged that you also use to give your other functions a break.

Overall, the cognitive functions serve as a much more accurate tool for determining ones personality type. Knowing both which functions someone uses and the order that they appear in can give you a good look into that persons thinking process, as well as how they perceive the world. Knowing your own cognitive functions allows you to know your strengths and weaknesses and how to work towards improving yourself.

So if you want to know your personality type I would study up on the cognitive functions and try to determine which ones you use (note: two of your four functions should be introverted and two should be extroverted, and you should have one sensing, one feeling, one thinking and one intuition function). If you don't feel like researching just want to be lazy and take a test, here is one that tests your cognitive functions: http://similarminds.com/classic_jung.html

I hope this clears up some misconceptions.
Last edited on
Carl Jung's writing, like that of Sigmund Freud, was largely based on anecdotal evidence. I wouldn't bother paying attention to most of his work for that reason.
closed account (zb0S216C)
ISTJ

Wazzak
@ascii I do not dispute the fact that the tests are based on no scientific knowledge, however i would like to bring to your attention to the following:
90% of the people who take the test will get a result of either INTJ or ENTJ (notice how almost everyone who posted results said they were an INTJ?)

Notice how this site would naturally attract people of a certain type. ie all programmers, certain ethics, ect. My sister and brother took the same test and got compleatly different results. So maybe everyone one this forum is INTJ or ENTJ, but consider the type of people who would use this forum?
I did consider that, but INTJ and ENTJ are not especially types common among programmers.
INTJ and ENTJ are not especially types common among programmers

Okay so what are types are most prevalent amongst programmers then?
Wikipedia wrote:

I – Introversion preferred to extraversion: INTJs tend to be quiet and reserved. They generally prefer interacting with a few close friends rather than a wide circle of acquaintances, and they expend energy in social situations (whereas extraverts gain energy).[8]
N – Intuition preferred to sensing: INTJs tend to be more abstract than concrete. They focus their attention on the big picture rather than the details and on future possibilities rather than immediate realities.[9]
T – Thinking preferred to feeling: INTJs tend to value objective criteria above personal preference. When making decisions they generally give more weight to logic than to social considerations.[10]
J – Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting.[11]
Okay so what are types are most prevalent amongst programmers then?

I believe ISTJ and ESTJ are the most common types.

I – Introversion preferred to extraversion: INTJs tend to be quiet and reserved. They generally prefer interacting with a few close friends rather than a wide circle of acquaintances, and they expend energy in social situations (whereas extraverts gain energy).[8]
N – Intuition preferred to sensing: INTJs tend to be more abstract than concrete. They focus their attention on the big picture rather than the details and on future possibilities rather than immediate realities.[9]
T – Thinking preferred to feeling: INTJs tend to value objective criteria above personal preference. When making decisions they generally give more weight to logic than to social considerations.[10]
J – Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting.[11]

Okay...?
Pages: 12