Which language to start with Web Programming?

Pages: 12
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Thanks very much rapidcoder, I appreciate your help and patience.
It's making me re-evaluate my plans to build my own libraries to develop websites fast and efficiently.

I'll have to look into it more before I read the book "A practical guide to developing large scale websites and applications using PHP5" I had lying around for a while...

Thanks again. :)

All the best,
NwN
@rapidcoder,
Are you sure it loads libraries more than once? I would have thought the OS would do copy-on-write (at least, that's what Linux does with shared objects; IIRC Windows doesn't support copy-on-write).
I meant PHP libraries in source form. Have you ever used an MVC framework in PHP? It usually starts with including lots of PHP files at the start. These files need to be loaded and code in them run to initialize the framework (e.g. read config files, initialize request mappings, open database connections, etc.). All this is done *per request* while in Java it is done once per deployment.
Last edited on
That's definitely true - The difference of YAF (extension) compared to zend fw is amazing:
http://www.ruilog.com/blog/view/b6f0e42cf705.html

I'm starting to think I may need to stop preparing for the zend php exam next month and start looking at better alternatives...

All the best,
NwN
@rapidcoder,
Ok, I've not done much with PHP. So, instead of loading all the config files and so on when the program loads, it's done at runtime?
A PHP script is parsed and executed every time a script is requested.
That means that every request, every file you include (such as the php-based framework libraries) have to be loaded into memory.
Runtime in PHP is the time it takes to run one single script, not an entire user session.

PHP does offer a native cache system now (the APC), but that is not on by default.

All the best,
NwN
Thanks everyone for helping, i want to learn making simple webpages
i have little knowledge of HTML and just know how to make things display on a webpage using PHP..
do you people think i should first learn HTML thoroughly and then PHP..
or just start with JAVA?
Start with HTML. Then go to javascript. Not Java, not PHP
Why on earth would you use Javascript on the server side?
Because it's easy and fun.
I don't like Javascript.
hanst99 wrote:
I don't like Javascript.

What do you not like about it? For me it is one of the better client side scripting languages, if not the most common.
Last edited on
It's not like there was one particular thing about JS I don't like, I'm just more of a ruby guy.
okay guys, dont fight.. i will be back after i learn HTML fully.. :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12