Which is the best?

Pages: 1234
I'd run it at 70%, but odds are still in favor of proprietary. If it's to support a company that needs to bring in revenue, it should be stable and provide necessary functionality. If it doesn't meet those criteria, it'll be dubbed as useless and will never be bought, causing the owner to flush the software and work on something else. Overall, poor closed-source software will die out and the stronger will continue to be supported by the consumer base. At least, that's how it appears to go down.
closed account (4SyAqMoL)
Not much experience here but I use Dev C++ and Notepad++.
90%? 70%? Are you kidding? Look around, there is plenty of crappy closed-source software everywhere, e.g. shareware, adware or crapware added to almost every Windows laptop.

80% of everything is crap. Regardless open-source or closed-source. However, some outstanding top-level open source projects won in just every aspect (market share / performance / stability / features) with their closed source equivalents:

* Linux kernel vs Windows Server
* Mozilla Firefox and Chrome vs IE
* Apache Web Server vs IIS
* Apache Cassandra vs Oracle RAC / Oracle NoSQL
closed account (z05DSL3A)
68.4% of statistics are wrong.
89.3% of statistics are made up.
98.3% of statistics are misleading.
100% of statistics are worth their weight in pixels.
except for my mac which i use xcode on, i find that the default text editor with gcc (or cygwin) is much more rewarding than an die
Emacs and gcc.

closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Emacs Vim and gcc.

<flamewar>
Fixed that for you.

closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Emacs Vim cat and gcc

Fixed that for you :P.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Emacs Vim cat ed and gcc

YOUR MOVE.
<flamewar>

Alright. Vim is just Emacs with less features and not nearly as customizable. If you wanted to, you could make Emacs a clone of Vim (though Vim has too many annoying features for any sane person to do so), or better yet: make Emacs a clone of Vim but change the annoying features and add new ones so that it's an improved version of Vim (actually, that's pretty much stock Emacs). This isn't doable in Vim and vimscript is disgusting and frustrating. Anyone delusional enough to convince themselves otherwise shouldn't use a computer.

</flamewar>

** Please don't view this as a personal attack, but rather a chance to improve yourself and take a step towards enlightenment. **
Last edited on
JSYK, insulting a group of people and then telling them not to be insulted doesn't magically stop them from being insulted (it's up to them whether they feel insulted or not, you don't get to tell them).

I'm not a frequent Vim-user, so I don't take it personally, but you have a pretty ridiculous attitude if you think simultaneously attacking people and asking them not to view it as an attack cancels it out.

If you really didn't want to insult people, you wouldn't have posted the insults in the first place, so clearly your little footnote is there so that if anyone calls you on your insult you can say "Well I did say not to view it as an attack", which is a pretty cowardly tactic tbh.

And just to cover all the bases, if you were going for satire, you didn't do a very good job of it.
Last edited on

YOUR MOVE.

I give.

@ansi
I've never used Emacs, and the only reason I probably use Vim is cause one of my prof's told us to use it (obviously you could still use nano, gedit or w/e, if you so chose). While one of my other profs preferences Emacs, he was always cracking jokes about vim vs. emacs and their "discussions" over which we (their pupils) should use.

And vim vs. emacs is as pointless as C vs. C++ (from your perspective of features), that doesn't mean you can't create just as good/better program from something with less so called features. Vim has everything I need and that's good enough for me not to look else where.

The more you need to customize something to suit your needs the less likely you'll be as productive on a foreign machine without those customizations.
$ cd ~/.config/
$ git init
Crap, no emacs or vim follow the `XDG Base Directory Specification Usage'.
Well, you'll have to symlink

Or ssh
Last edited on
JSYK, insulting a group of people and then telling them not to be insulted doesn't magically stop them from being insulted (it's up to them whether they feel insulted or not, you don't get to tell them).

I disagree. Most reasonable people won't take offense to honesty if you make it clear that you're not trying to insult them. If this wasn't true people would cry every time they receive constructive criticism.

I'm not a frequent Vim-user, so I don't take it personally, but you have a pretty ridiculous attitude if you think simultaneously attacking people and asking them not to view it as an attack cancels it out.

If you really didn't want to insult people, you wouldn't have posted the insults in the first place, so clearly your little footnote is there so that if anyone calls you on your insult you can say "Well I did say not to view it as an attack", which is a pretty cowardly tactic tbh.

The footnote wasn't serious, if I didn't want to insult people I wouldn't have put a snide comment like "this is a chance to improve yourself and take a step towards enlightenment."

Thanks for calling me a coward, anyhow, and since there was no footnote telling me not to be insulted (and by your earlier logic, it wouldn't matter), I will take that as an insult. Maybe I had it coming.

And just to cover all the bases, if you were going for satire, you didn't do a very good job of it.

I wasn't. You've misinterpreted the tone of my post.

@ansi

ascii

And vim vs. emacs is as pointless as C vs. C++ (from your perspective of features), that doesn't mean you can't create just as good/better program from something with less so called features. Vim has everything I need and that's good enough for me not to look else where.

Does it really have everything you need? I started out with Vim and thought it was "good enough" too, but when I switched to Emacs I realized how much Vim was missing and that it really wasn't "good enough."

Why settle for shit when there's an easily accessible better option?

The more you need to customize something to suit your needs the less likely you'll be as productive on a foreign machine without those customizations.

This is ridiculous. Do you not use running water so you don't become dependent on it? In this day and age of laptops how often do you find yourself developing on an unfamiliar platform? And on the off-chance you do find yourself in such a situation, it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to configure Emacs if you use a program like Dropbox.
Last edited on
ascii wrote:
I disagree. Most reasonable people won't take offense to honesty if you make it clear that you're not trying to insult them. If this wasn't true people would cry every time they receive constructive criticism.

Calling someone "delusional" and that they "shouldn't use a computer" is not constructive criticism, it's an insult.

The footnote wasn't serious, if I didn't want to insult people I wouldn't have put a snide comment like "this is a chance to improve yourself and take a step towards enlightenment."

So, you did want to insult people then? Since you did put a snide comment and, according to you, if you didn't want to insult people you wouldn't put a snide comment (deductively the opposite is therefore also true).

Thanks for calling me a coward, anyhow, and since there was no footnote telling me not to be insulted (and by your earlier logic, it wouldn't matter), I will take that as an insult. Maybe I had it coming.

I didn't call you a coward, I said it was a cowardly tactic. If you want to take it as an insult, though, that's up to you.

If I thought you were a coward I wouldn't have pointed it out, since cowardly tactics would be part of your normal behaviour. It just seems cowardly to insult someone and then politely ask them not to be insulted. Like I said, if you hadn't wanted to insult people you wouldn't have written the insults in the first place. It'd be different if someone was calling you on your insult and you then apologised, because that would mean you had seen the error of your ways or that you hadn't anticipated someone being insulted by your comment. Putting that footnote there, to me, seems like you had anticipated someone being offended, but decided you'd leave your comment anyway.

I wasn't. You've misinterpreted the tone of my post.

I didn't think you were, just that there was a chance you were and I hadn't picked up on it.

* I do believe in freedom of speech (strongly), and I don't agree with people just censoring anything that offends them (actually I don't believe in censorship at all, except for self-censorship), but you shouldn't purposefully insult people
ThIS Ar teh INTERNETS ther si no raeson ONLY WAR!!1!11! Her si a picter of my cat
Last edited on
Best IDE: Visual Studio.
^

lol, no here's picture of my dog, dog way cuter.

ASCII wrote:
Does it really have everything you need? I started out with Vim and thought it was "good enough" too, but when I switched to Emacs I realized how much Vim was missing and that it really wasn't "good enough."

Why settle for shit when there's an easily accessible better option?

Well now I have a reason to look else where. If you would kindly list some of these features that I could look into. Along with the annoying ones that aren't there from vim so I know what to expect.

This is ridiculous. Do you not use running water so you don't become dependent on it? In this day and age of laptops how often do you find yourself developing on an unfamiliar platform? And on the off-chance you do find yourself in such a situation, it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to configure Emacs if you use a program like Dropbox.

Running water is the same every where (this is a good example actually, how much customization does water need to do it's job :P), but yes if you live in a country that doesn't have running water I assume you wouldn't last very long. "In this day and age", I guarantee a good chunk of the 7 billion people that live on this planet have never even heard of or even seen what a laptop is.
Last edited on
Pages: 1234