Going Native 2012

closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
GoingNative 2012 is a 48 hour, globally live-streamed technical event for those who push the boundaries of general purpose computing by exploiting the true capabilities of the underlying machine: C++ developers. Distinguished speakers include the creator of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup, C++ Standards Committee Chair, Herb Sutter, C++ template and big compute master, Andrei Alexandrescu, STL master Stephan T. Lavavej, LLVM/Clang developer Chandler Carruth, distributed and parallel computing expert Hans Boehm, and C++ library design expert and ISO committee member Andrew Sutton.

"C++11 feels like a new language" says C++ creator Bjarne Stroustrup. Tune in and find out why.

This was back in February, but I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has missed watching these seminars, so in-case anyone else is interested, here's a link:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/GoingNative/GoingNative-2012/
This is funny - outside of the C++ committee camp, there is *no* "going native" movement anywhere. Actually in distributed and parallel computing, Hadoop is taking probably all the market now, and no C++ framework is even close in both features and performance. The same applies to distributed databases. There is no real competition for Cassandra (which is written in Java), at least in terms of scalability and performance. As far as I know, no top-level database vendor considers rewriting their stuff into C++.
Last edited on
I'll have to read Bjarne's paper on concepts, then watch the Channel 9 video... before I can safely conclude that he once again took the least graceful approach in solving a problem induced by, and to maintain, backward compatibility.
Concepts are probably the most ugly solution among all the propositions for C++1x. Good they have abandoned them.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.