Java vs c++

Pages: 12
Hello everyone. i was wondering what would you recommend after fully learning python java or c++.

thanks in advance
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
What do you want to do (i.e. what sort of programming are you interested in)?

Answering this question will get you a better answer to your question.
You may wish to edit the thread title before rapid chaos ensues.
Pick your tool for the job.
i want to learn either one or both to be able to program in general because i've been fond of computers and software ever since a was 8
Learn both.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
You can go further, faster with Java so I would recommend learning Java to gain a grasp of the basics of programming and software design. Once you've got that down, you could move to C++ -- or whatever programming language tickles your fancy at that time.
L B wrote:
You may wish to edit the thread title before rapid chaos ensues.

I see what you did there ;)
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Learn both.

Very well said. After about 5 - 10 years of programming in both, you can start nitpicking at both of them like many of us do.
Depends on what task u want to do... U shud learn to know which programming language suits best for the task u wish to continue.. lemme give a simple example for c++ vs BASIC...
now lets say u want to print "Hello world" on the screen... if u use c++, u gotto include those header files, declare the main () function, use cout and have confusing to use either << or >> :P and bla bla bla! but in basic, u just need to type this,
PRINT "Hello world" and press enter and press F5 to see that hello world! so for soo very simple programs like this, u can go in for BASIC! but its not the trend now... m also a fan of c++ and i opt in for c++(for BASIC vs c++)... as in case of C++ vs Java, i know nothing of Java actually :P but i know that graphics in c++ is a bit of tough task and especially annoying if u r using windows 7 as it requires all those DOSBox config and much more... learn to opt in for the language that suits best for the program :)
To learn BASIC is to destroy the part of your brain that can understand program structure.

As for graphics in C++, I don't know where you eve heard of DOSBox - just get a decent graphics library like SFML or SDL.
Last edited on
Don't believe everything Dijkstra says.
and how do you declare an integer in Basic?

No, whatever you learn, don't learn Basic. Let it die.
well... i know how to declare a string! its just (string_name)$ :P well... yep BASIC is tooooooooooooooo basic... yeah let it die :P :P
I don't know where you eve heard of DOSBox

LOL man u never heard of DOSBox?? :/ i think u might know that the full screen mode is not supported for c++ by windows 7 64 bit ( and 32-bit also i think cause i have a 32 bit 7 OS...)... this is because the full screen mode is associated with the command prompt which is a 16-bit thing and wont b well supported by these OS... and DOSBox is just a 32-bit command prompt emulator and can enable u can run c++ full screen mode even in windows 7 64 bit ;)
Last edited on
SwatSid wrote:
i think u might know that the full screen mode is not supported for c++ by windows 7 64 bit ( and 32-bit also i think cause i have a 32 bit 7 OS...)... this is because the full screen mode is associated with the command prompt which is a 16-bit thing and wont b well supported by these OS... and DOSBox is just a 32-bit command prompt emulator and can enable u can run c++ full screen mode even in windows 7 64 bit ;)

What?

DOSBox is a DOS emulator, DOS is a 16-bit system, and the point of it is to run DOS programs (specifically games, but other programs work too) which you can't really do in Windows (especially not 64-bit Windows because it can't access the CPU's 16-bit emulation mode from 64-bit long mode).
Don't believe everything Dijkstra says

He has a very old mindset. Brilliant guy, but some of his ideas are a bit dated.
@ResidentBiscuit,
s/has/had/
s/are/were/
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
“I mean, if 10 years from now, when you are doing something quick and dirty, you suddenly visualize that I am looking over your shoulders and say to yourself "Dijkstra would not have liked this", well, that would be enough immortality for me.”
― Edsger W. Dijkstra
That's a serious oversight right there. He should have taken a picture of himself looking sort of downwards in a judging, possibly disappointed, way. Then people could hang his picture over their workstations so they could feel as if Dijkstra was personally evaluating every single thing they do.
Pages: 12