Windows 8 Surface Price Outrage!!

Pages: 123
Grey Wolf wrote:
I was being sarcastic about the general media insinuation that it is just an Apple related issue.

Well, fair enough.

Grey Wolf wrote:
Intel manufacture to three grades: commercial, industrial and extended. Electronics are manufactured to Commercial, Industrial, and Military grades.

Fair point, but that's different: we were talking about different vendors using the same grade hardware made in the same factory.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
chrisname wrote:
we were talking about different vendors using the same grade hardware made in the same factory.
I wasn't. I was talking about cheap products using cheap parts and cheap designs. This cheapness usually leads to a lack of performance is some area. :0)
closed account (EAUX92yv)
Why are we all talking about Apple? This is a Windows 8 thread!
...because it is apparently 'Cool to hate Apple'.
I prefer oranges :]
Grey Wolf wrote:
...because it is apparently 'Cool to hate Apple'.

No, apparently its cool to pay 3x more for the same product just to have a picture of a bitten apple on it. I think its ridiculous.
Let's trot out that BS again.
pay 3x more for the same product
What exactly are you talking about?
Examples:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+MacBook%26%23174%3B+Pro+-+13.3%22+Display+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive/5430505.p?id=1218646127726&skuId=5430505#tab=specifications\
vs
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Series+5+Ultrabook+13.3%22+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+%2B+24GB+Solid+State+Drive+-+Light+Titan/5852663.p?id=1218696492310&skuId=5852663#tab=specifications

Mac Book: $1,2000
Samsung: $800 (also comes with a 24GB SSD)

Another:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+MacBook%26%23174%3B+Pro+-+15.4%22+Display+-+8GB+Memory+-+750GB+Hard+Drive/3827161.p?id=1218434728950&skuId=3827161#tab=specifications
vs
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Champagne+Silver/5559896.p?id=1218660314851&skuId=5559896#tab=specifications

Mac Book: $2,200
Toshiba: $750

Both have identical specs but Apple consistently costs much more than any other brand. You can try and argue that Apple uses better quality hardware, but even if that's true, you won't save yourself any money not getting repairs/replacements because of the much steeper initial cost and because your Apple will also break, just later. You can also try and argue that you're paying for the operating system, but that's just a matter of opinion. There are people that prefer the feel of some free Linux distro than that of Apple. If you're really willing to pay over double for a status symbol, fine, but personally I'm against it. Its not like you walk around touting your machine like you would some designer clothes, you just use it, mainly in your own home and that's it.
Both have identical specs but Apple consistently costs much more than any other brand. You can try and argue that Apple uses better quality hardware, but even if that's true, you won't save yourself any money not getting repairs/replacements because of the much steeper initial cost and because your Apple will also break, just later. You can also try and argue that you're paying for the operating system, but that's just a matter of opinion. There are people that prefer the feel of some free Linux distro than that of Apple. If you're really willing to pay over double for a status symbol, fine, but personally I'm against it. Its not like you walk around touting your machine like you would some designer clothes, you just use it, mainly in your own home and that's it.

So is your argument. Wether or not spending $400.00 more for a laptop that you like more, is a personal choice.

I wanted to buy a macbook, but I'm a broke college student so I bought a $400.00 Toshiba. It works fine, but it is not as enjoyable as the new macbook air. The touch pad on the macbook air is so much better than any laptop I've used, it's ridiculous. It's surprising how much that makes a difference in how enjoyable a laptop is to use.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/design.html

If I graduate and start making 70K-100K a year, I'm going to get a new macbook air, I-Pad, maybe a surface, high end mac desktop, high-end non mac desktop and laptop, and various other devices and machines. Maybe even one of these http://www.cray.com/Products/CX1/Systems.aspx.
Last edited on
closed account (EAUX92yv)
What exactly are you talking about?

Apple charges way more for products that just aren't as good. I'm not saying Apple isn't good, I'm just saying that they over charge.
I'm not sure that it's necessarily the case that apple does charge more for similar products. In the category of ultrabooks for example.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 344824U 14" LED Ultrabook - Intel - Core i7 i7-3667U 2GHz - Black 4 gigs ram
$2,500

SAMSUNG Amor2 NP900X4C-A03US Ultrabook Intel Core i7 3517U(1.90GHz) 15.0" 8GB Memory DDR3 1600 256GB SSD HDD Intel HD Graphics 4000
$1,800

ASUS UX51Vz-XH71 Ultrabook Intel Core i7 3612QM(2.10GHz) 15.6" Full HD 8GB DDR3 Memory 512GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
$2,400

Acer Aspire S7-391-9886 Ultrabook Intel Core i7 3517U(1.90GHz) 13.3" 4GB Memory 256GB SSD HDD Intel HD Graphics 4000
$1,650

Toshiba Satellite U845W-S414P 14.4" LED Ultrabook - Intel Core i7 i7-3517U 1.90 GHz - Midnight Silver Aluminum
$1,500

HP Folio 13 (B0N00AA#ABA) Ultrabook Intel Core i5 2467M(1.60GHz) 13.3" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 128GB SSD HDD Intel HD Graphics 3000
$1,400

Macbook air
13-inch : 128GB
1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
8GB memory
128GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
$1,300

.... Apple sure does have a nifty team behind the aesthetics of their products.
@iseeplusplus
Your comparing a second gen i5 with third gen i7's.
Personally I have nothing against Apple products, or the price they charge. I dont like Apple these days because of the lawsuit over the galaxy s3.
Last edited on
The new macbook air's have ivy bridge CPU's just like the other laptops on the list.

Top of line macbook air

13-inch
2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz (3667U)
8GB memory
256GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
$1,699.00

This has better specs than lenovo's top of the line ultrabook and is 900 dollars cheaper.

The only laptop on the list which has faster CPU is the AZUS at $2,400, which has a CPU with a $30 higher retail, which trades a very slight performance advantage in exchange for more power consumption.
Last edited on
The difference in those processors is more then clock speed http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/compare-intel-processors.html and the price difference might have something to do with the ASUS having 2 X 256GB SSD. I'll admit I require power from a laptop as I only use a laptop, the one I'm planning to get is a 17 in HP Envy with an i7 3820.
The macbook air has the same generation processor as the others on the list, and arguable the best one at that. The i7 3820 that you want is faster, but it also consumes a lot more power than the air's 3667U.

i7 3820 45 watts
i7 3667U 17 watts

If I were to choose any laptop CPU it would be the 3667U.

I don't think that I have every seen a comparison of 'identical spec' that are really just superficial comparisons. Usually they leave out things that are not important to them. A Thunderbolt port or FireWire 800 port may not be of importance to you but if the one you are putting up for comparison lacks such features then it is not a comparison of identical specs.
I concede that it is difficult to find a comparable laptop to a macbook, but as far as desktops go you'd have to be blind not to see the fiscal advantage building your own has over buying a mac. If you don't want to go through the trouble of building your own care that you're being charged a significant markup over apple's competitors that's your call. Honestly, the only reasons I see to purchase an apple brand desktop is if you're an artist of some kind, you are purchasing it as a status symbol, or you can afford the upsell and just prefer the environment it provides.

I personally cannot stand apple as a company. I find their marketing campaign to be pretentious, their philosophy regarding their platform unsavory (closed rather than open) and their products not even close to being worth the buy. \

And for what it's worth, if I'm going to purchase a computer for mobility, I'm going to purchase a tablet. Not a laptop.
Pages: 123