Donnie Darko

Pages: 12
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
So...best movie ever? Yes? We all agree? good.

Discuss.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
It was good but didn't strike me as "best". I'd have to re-watch it from all those years ago to really explain why I feel like that.
I just saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0anFLFWoGw
¿what's your excuse?
I watched it years ago. I remember I didn't understand the ending
Donnie Darko, Pulp Fiction, Fight Club and Boondock Saints. All cult classics. All amazing.
Your list is missing Lock Stock
I thought Boondock Saints was over-rated. It's well made but it's nothing we hadn't seen many times before.
I've never heard of lock stock before. O:

Also, congrats on reaching 2^13 posts
Contact is pretty good, although I'm sure the novel (by Carl Sagan) is even better.
I've never heard of lock stock before.

Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

Very similar style to Pulp Fiction, but even better IMO. Definitely check it out.
Matrix was the last original movie I saw (by Matrix I mean the first one and sadly thought Reloaded and Revolution were sad compared to the first). I watch movies regularly and while they keep my attention til the end, I think most of them could have been done better. For example, just saw Prometheus and was truly not impressed. Basically just a sad attempt at a prequel to the Alien movie, even though they swore it wasn't a prequel, but a stand along movie in the Alien universe.
I was thoroughly disappointed with Prometheus. Also the dark knight rises. The Amazing Spiderman wasn't terrible but it wasn't amazing.

I think the only summer flick I really enjoyed was The Avengers. o:
Matrix [snip] original

Ehhh. I wouldn't call that movie original. It was kind of a knockoff of/tribute to Ghost in the Shell... to the point where they pretty much lifted scenes right from the movie. The Matrix filmmakers pretty much acknowledged this, too.

There's a video floating around on YouTube that has the Matrix filmmakers talking about it, and there's a part of the video where they show scenes from the Matrix and GitS side by side.

EDIT: here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tF7TL0Qh4 . A very good watch.

I always thought the Matrix was waaaaay overrated.
Last edited on
I think the only summer flick I really enjoyed was The Avengers

I think most of the world who watches movies agrees here. It was an awesome movie, despite it's various small issues.
Actually I had to stop watching avengers after about 30 minutes, didn't like it one bit, as for the other movies I've never heard of any of them other than Dark Knight Rises (pretty good) and Matrix(never seen)
After 30 minutes? The first 30 minutes is just the build up to all the cool stuff.
> The Amazing Spiderman wasn't terrible but it wasn't amazing.
This is the most blatant case of false advertising since The Neverending Story.
@Dish
Comparing originality between live action and animation is like comparing apples and oranges. You can get by with comparing Animatrix and Ghost in the Shell, but comparing Matrix to it isn't a fair match due to that lone fact. Animation has basically no restrictions on it and you can draw ANYTHING while live action has the restrictions of what the actors can do, CGI artists can pass off believably, and even the link you posted had one of them saying "To do all this in live action is incredible!".

Also, if you want to get into comparing live action movies and animations, then nothing is original as I'm quite sure anime with all their variety and range have done everything first or at least done everything in an original way so that everything we do seems like a copy of their work.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Comparing originality between live action and animation is like comparing apples and oranges.

Not really. Originality is originality. Sure it may have been original (and an astonishing feat at the time) to apply those concepts to live action... but the concepts themselves are still unorigial.

Take a look at comic book movies, like the Avengers, or Batman or whatever. Sure they're good movies and very impressive on many levels, but that says nothing to their originality. They're not original because they're based on other, existing works.

I'm not trying to dog the Matrix here, I'm just saying it's not original.

Also, if you want to get into comparing live action movies and animations, then nothing is original

There's a difference between independently coming up with ideas that someone else happened to came up with before you vs. taking ideas from an existing work. The latter is what makes something unoriginal, and is what I'm accusing the Matrix of.
I think copyright/IP law in pretty much every country disagrees with you there Disch, whether you came up with it yourself or not, if it was done before then it isn't original.
Pages: 12