Could we have bullet points, please?

I tend to use bullet points a lot when answering questions, and having to use '-' or '[]' can be bothersome and messy. Is there any way the forum could add bullet points? Thanks
PM Twicker http://www.cplusplus.com/user/twicker/ it should be easy to enable.
closed account (zb0S216C)
I, too, would like to see this feature in use.

Wazzak
Add my vote also, please. :)

- Also, some sort of signature line - maybe with restrictions so everyone doesn't go overboard.

I could have the following as my signature, because I am always whinging about these.:

PLEASE USE CODE TAGS - THE <> BUTTON ON THE RIGHT

Remember to look in the Reference / Documentation section

Google is your best friend.

- Just wondering what are everyone's thoughts on Reputation Points

Edit:

Further to the code tags thing - Could we have an advertisement with large red flashing letters? !! (:+D)

Last edited on
TheIdeasMan wrote:
maybe with restrictions so everyone doesn't go overboard.
TheIdeasMan wrote:
Further to the code tags thing - Could we have an advertisement with large red flashing letters?

That seems a bit... contradicting to me :p
@ModShop

I didn't mean flashing letters in my signature - I meant an ad out on the left of the page say.
Oh, that makes more sense ;) I'll leave now...
I too would like to see lists in the forum bbcode.

I hate signatures with a passion. They are a waste of space. Put your advertisements in your profile.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Could have a simple regular expression such as "#include", "std::" or "using namespace std", or "int main(" and if it finds such a pattern outside of [ code ] tags then it will display a warning and some advice on how to use code tags. That might be more effective then having giant font in a signature :P.
How about making code tags mandatory for the first post in the thread (in Beginner's only of course)? Or else they can't post their question.
Duoas wrote:
I hate signatures with a passion. They are a waste of space. Put your advertisements in your profile.

xerzi wrote:
That might be more effective then having giant font in a signature :P.

My earlier post was a wry reference to the amount of times I seem to have to suggest those 3 things. The idea of an Ad, was a way of putting a reminder so that hopefully everyone would see it. A vague hope I know, because newbies seem so keen to ask their question, they seem to ignore everything apart from what is on their mind.

If there was going to be an ad, it could be part of the Format toolbox, both for new & existing threads.

I wasn't suggesting having an ad in my signature, or giant fonts. With the restrictions on a signature, I meant limiting it to 5 lines say, and having the formatting as is available for everything else. Mind you coloured fonts could be handy for any post.

@xerzi

Your idea of the regex, is way more sensible I think.

@Catfish2

That's a good idea too, but don't limit it to the beginners page or to the number of posts they have, because newbies seem to post anywhere, including the Unix & Lounge pages and they might make any number of posts before they put up any code.

Maybe a combination of all these ideas might work?
• We already do.
• Unicode U+2022
^ Nest them. (I don't really care)
There is also a bit of a visual problem with "wide" posts. If someone posts a long linker error, or they have a 200 char cout statement, then the window becomes wider to accommodate it. I personally find it annoying if the window is 2 or 3 screens wide.

With the cout statements, I have tried to point out that it isn't necessary to have their cout all in one line - they can build it up over several statements, but of course that sort of education tip never gets through.

Another problem is indenting in code. I am not sure if the following is the exact problem:

If a user sets their IDE to do indenting by setting tab stops to be 4, as opposed to converting tabs to 4 spaces, the code formatter on this site seems to make the tabs 8 again, producing excessive indenting in the posted code.

I don't know how tricky it would be to have some sort of sensible word wrap for posted code.

Then again this is probably all wishful thinking - the reality is another story.
> If someone posts a long linker error
fmt, or don't use tags
> or they have a 200 char cout statement
Probably that is not the issue, just ignore it.

> Another problem is indenting in code
They don't, that's the problem.
Or they try and fail horrible.

Tabs are expanded as tabs. 8 is not too big.
@ne555
fmt, or don't use tags

It's about what they do, not what I do.

Probably that is not the issue, just ignore it.

It is one of the causes of the wide window, and really long comments.

They don't, that's the problem.
Or they try and fail horrible.

Even with code that was indented properly, 8 is still too much IMO. If there are 5 levels of indenting (not that hard to do)- that's 40 chars of whitespace.

I was thinking this might easily be solved with a sensible word wrap.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.