whats your favorite thing aboot c++?

Pages: 123
I like that you make something with language, thas pretty cool its almost an illusion created by electrical signals cept its real XD
Are you Canadian?
nah is spelling
My favorite thing aboot C++ is that it runs on Windows.
My favorite thing aboot C++ is that it runs on Windows.

So... I assume that either means you don't like C++, or you like virtually every language just as much as C++
I don't know what this thread is aboot anymore.
closed account (zb0S216C)
My favourite thing aboot C++ is the ability to allocate memory directly, access hardware directly, and its ability to produce efficient code. The fact that there's no garbage collection system is a major plus.

Wazzak
I like C++ because of how you can really choose to give the compiler a hard time and make it evaluate templates and stuff at compile time.

Mainly I like templates, operator overloading, the very awesome class inheritance system (public/private/protected inheritance, multiple inheritance, virtual inheritance), and references (they're just plain awesome). The syntax is also very consistent but not in a way that everything looks the same as with other languages.
I like the fact you can mix classes and plain functions, which you can't do in languages like Java and C# (unless you use a static class, but that feels like cheating in a lot of cases, and it's ugly). When I use C++ I like to write in a mostly procedural style, like C with namespaces and a better standard library, only using my own classes when it's the easiest thing to do.
RAII.
Honestly, having the guarantee that a function will be called at the end of a program structure is so powerful that I'm shocked no other language provides anything like it. It's something many modern languages with their fancy schmancy GCs are missing out on.
my favorite thing is they made an os and the best game ever, WOW
i didnt want to admit that every time i learn a new thing i love it, thats why i had to ask, so you guys would say something first, i dont think im among people who would reject me if i said I LOVE C++ even though i barley know it (finally out of the c+ closet)

when i first started learning i thought arrays were fun to mess with but then i discovered classes have stuff in them...every now and again i love the new thing...but i wish i was fluent in pointers because then i could progress...i feel like the fun things are over or at least until i grasp the pointer and reference thing completley...how else can i move on to linked lists?
Last edited on
i barley know it

I think you oat to spell that right.
closed account (10oTURfi)
I think you oat to spell that right.

Hahaha. I see what you did there.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
LB wrote:
I like C++ because of how you can really choose to give the compiler a hard time and make it evaluate templates and stuff at compile time.

Mainly I like templates, operator overloading, the very awesome class inheritance system (public/private/protected inheritance, multiple inheritance, virtual inheritance), and references (they're just plain awesome). The syntax is also very consistent but not in a way that everything looks the same as with other languages.

Almost exactly what I was gonna say. I love C++, its my favorite language (right next to C).
Last edited on by Fredbill30
Oh, and you gotta love typedefs :D

Honestly, having the guarantee that a function will be called at the end of a program structure is so powerful that I'm shocked no other language provides anything like it. It's something many modern languages with their fancy schmancy GCs are missing out on.

Many modern languages allow such guarantee by finally keyword or automatic resource management blocks. I haven't heard anyone complaining about lack of RAII.
So when people started avoiding constructors and destructors, Bjarne came up with a meaningless name for when they're used? I don't know, I'm asking!
finally keyword
Not really the same.

automatic resource management blocks
Can you give an example?
helios wrote:
Can you give an example?
Java 7's Try-With-Resources block:
try(SomeCloseableClass stream = new SomeCloseableClass(SomeResource))
{
    //some code
}//automatically closes stream 
Last edited on
Pages: 123