Hurricane Sandy

Pages: 123
So either you live under a rock, on the other side of the world or you're aware of the hurricane hitting much of the Eastern Seaboard. I live in Western New York, so the most I'll get is 60mph winds and some rain. Of course, power will probably still go out, and be out for at least a few days. And now that I think about it, there isn't a single thing that I do for fun that doesn't require power. Is anyone else here getting hit by thew storm? What are you doing while you ride it out?

On another note, Assassin's Creed 3 comes out tomorrow, so I'm hoping schools canceled. As for needing power, I plan on going to my friend's house, he has a generator :D Anyone else pumped for AC3?
Play on some battery charged stuff? lol

I live on the west coast so I don't have to worry about my power going down.
Also getting hit by Hurricane, central mass.

Have some books here, The prince by machiavelli and the art of war. hoping the power doesn't go out still.

And no I'm not excited for assassins creed. I think the game is garbage but that is just my two cents. I don't want to start a flame war.
Dissimulation wrote:
I don't want to start a flame war.

Too late! Haha, just kidding, to each his own.

fireradco wrote:
Play on some battery charged stuff?

I would, but I don't own any handheld gaming systems. I was thinking of designing some kind of power supply for my Xbox that would run off of... well, a lot, of D batteries wired in combination to get the right amounts of voltage and current, but decided the cost would be unjustified for just a few days.

fireradco wrote:
I live on the west coast so I don't have to worry about my power going down.

No, only earthquakes :p I used to live in California, pretty much directly on the San Andreas fault line.
No, only earthquakes :p I used to live in California, pretty much directly on the San Andreas fault line.

It seems to be a little known fact that there is a pretty serious fault line in the Midwest that is well overdue for some serious seismic activity. I guess it doesn't get much thought because the last major quaked was 200 years ago
I don't think I knew that. What's it called?
closed account (iw0XoG1T)
48 mph winds right now, 68 mph gust, plenty of rain and the electricity is still on. It is really not all that bad. They cancelled work today and I was told to stay home tomorrow too.

Tomorrow I'll take a ride to look at the damage, but at my house all is fine.
Yeah, the wind and rain has really started to pick up in the last hour or so. School has been canceled for tomorrow, so I'm pretty happy about that. I don't foresee much more than a few fallen trees here though...
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
I was quite sure that the 'big hype' over this joke of a hurricane was just a tool to get people to go out and buy batteries, generators, and the like...now that the storm is here, I haven't lost power and haven't seen any wind above 40mph. The mayor of the closest town declared a "state of emergency", but oddly enough storms this powerful are fairly common-place here (sort of like the string of tornadoes that moved through a few months ago...). My younger brother lives down near Philly and is reporting the same thing.

<rant>
Come on America...when did you all turn into a bunch of wusses? Schools were closed 12 hours before the storm was scheduled to hit, local businesses shut down early, UPS and FEDEX aren't delivering, the local mail isn't going, and the list goes on and on and on...it seems like that whenever some doom-sayer cries out something on face-book, a panic erupts and shuts the entire damned world down...toughen up and deal with harsh working conditions instead of hiding from them like a frightened child...
</rant>

P.S. I'm proud to say that my business hours aren't going to change because of bad weather.
Last edited on
AC3?? I've been seeing only ads for AC2 o_o anyway I'm not interested in that style of game anyway.

I hope the hurricane doesn't cause too much trouble. I live down in Texas so I'm well away from any harm, and I feel very emotionally detached - but I don't want to seem heartless.
Yeah, AC2 came out about 3 years ago. Perhaps the Roman Numerals threw you off?

@Luc Lieber: Yeah, this storm has definitely been over exaggerated, but it got me out of school on the release date of AC3, so what do I care?
> I'm proud to say that my business hours aren't going to change because of bad weather.
That's sad.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
ModShop wrote:
I'm hoping schools canceled

If there's one thing I've never seen cancelled it's city buses and this university. That being said winter is a scary time when a bus slides past your stop.
In my experience, things aren't as cheerful when the power and water is off - especially if it is for four days. The shops are closed, no public transport, every thing is shut down, basically nothing to do except help clear up the fallen green waste.
Modshop wrote:
I don't think I knew that. What's it called?

the New Madrid Fault Zone.
ModShop wrote:
I was thinking of designing some kind of power supply for my Xbox that would run off of... well, a lot, of D batteries wired in combination to get the right amounts of voltage and current, but decided the cost would be unjustified for just a few days.

Well, it may happen again! And again! and again! This hurricane may be only once, but power companies knowing nothing about their equipment is forever (just like class diamonds;).
xander337 wrote:
It seems to be a little known fact that there is a pretty serious fault line in the Midwest that is well overdue for some serious seismic activity. I guess it doesn't get much thought because the last major quaked was 200 years ago
the New Madrid Fault Zone.

That part gets overlooked because of the tornadoes in that area.
So I went to pick up AC3 this morning (have been playing all day, you guys probably won't hear from me again for at least a month), the destruction here was incredible. Good thing they closed everything, I mean, there were medium to large sized puddles, and worse still, TONS of leaves had been forcibly removed from their trees. But really, it was nothing more than a rain storm with some high winds, here at least. But of course Buffalo New York gets winds in the 40-60 mph range pretty much every other week, so nothing new there either.
It just finished passing overhead where I am. Fortunately I live in an area it didn't really hit that hard.

[edit] My home suffers from some flooding with heavy rains [/edit]

@Luc Lieber
Glad to see you've got your head in the ground. Perhaps you can share your happy, unaffected life with some of the zillions of people without power, homes, or businesses to go to.

I'm glad that you aren't hit that bad, but to actually mock the harm and suffering of others is fairly callous.
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Glad to see you've got your head in the ground. Perhaps you can share your happy, unaffected life with some of the zillions of people without power, homes, or businesses to go to.

My condolences go out to those that have lost from the storm, and my rant goes to all of the others in the (500+ mile?) semi-circle that bought what the media was building the storm up to be and clearly overreacted. "Power will be out for over a week." was the local word...until the power never went out at all. It was good for the economy though, I will have to admit. Lowes sold over 650 generators in my area in a single day thanks to the paranoia spread via "authorities" and social networking.
Last edited on
Pages: 123