Transporting a computer to china

I'm (probably) going to go on a 6 month internship in Hong Kong next year. Problem is, my Laptop is usable in name only and I obviously can't just take my tower on the plane. How do I get my computer to Hong Kong (without paying a price that would make buying ANOTHER computer over there a reasonable alternative)?

I'd prefer a company that doesn't throw monitors over fences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--4U4BkulC0
> and I obviously can't just take my tower on the plane.
¿why not?
Use your laptop to connect to the tower via ssh.

Good luck.
¿why not?

Have you seen how airline personnel treats luggage? I wouldn't trust them to get a bar of indestructium in one piece to the plane.

Use your laptop to connect to the tower via ssh.

I'm not going to leave my PC on for 6 months, and I'm certainly not going to expose it to the interwebs. I'd also like to reiterate my point of my Laptop being a special-needs PC.
The cost of transporting it will compare badly with just buying a second-hand machine in HK. I took a tower to Qatar on a BA flight once. It was handled fine, but it was certainly expensive. The cheapest would be untrackable surface-mail, which would probably take weeks. I think your best option is to just take your data and buy a second-hand machine once you get there. It's HK; the local small ads will certainly provide what you need.
How big is the tower? You might be able to take it as hand luggage if you're careful with it. Put it in a bag with lots of padding.
It's pretty small actually, but I'm afraid no amount of padding is going to protect it from the damage from being thrown around. I'd have to dis/reassemble it, but I'm no good with computers (or anything else that has screws and nasty things like that) so that's not much of an option.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Pelican™ Case! also dismantle and pack any components that are likely to come loose and cause damage.
also dismantle and pack any components that are likely to come loose and cause damage.
Isn't that all of them?
hanst99 wrote:
thrown around

If you take it as hand luggage, no-one is going to throw it around but you, and if you do that, you deserve a broken computer.
If you take it as hand luggage, no-one is going to throw it around but you, and if you do that, you deserve a broken computer.

Well I said it's small, but I doubt it's small enough for them to let me take it as hand luggage.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.