Other programming languages used for game development?

Pages: 12
I don't know if PS3 uses opengl, I heard they used a heavily stripped down and modified version of OpenGL 1.0. But from what I've heard nintendo uses an in house api. Could always learn java and the android api then develop for the Ouya.
@BHXSpecter
I really doubt the PS3 or PS2 used Linux. If it did, they would be legally obliged to make the source code for their kernel available.

@Cheraphy
You're right that the PS3 uses a modified version of OpenGL but I think it's version 2.1. I read that the Wii U uses OpenGL but Idk if that's true.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Just because the PS2 had a devkit that only works on Linux, doesn't mean anything. They probably just had a cross-compiler based on GCC that targets the PS2 architecture, and never bothered porting it to Windows/MAC because of the costs involved.

Like I said before, and chrisname said too, if the PS2/3 used any code derivative from the Linux kernel it would have to be open source because of the terms of the GPLv2.
I really doubt the PS3 or PS2 used Linux. If it did, they would be legally obliged to make the source code for their kernel available.

For a while it was popular to make PS3 clusters running linux. I guess the newer slim models don't support linux though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

http://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html
There was a firmware update, so even those PS3 which did have the OtherOS feature no longer do (unless they didn't get the update or used one of the methods for getting it back).
chrisname wrote:

A company breaking the law in regards to software, that has never happened (Microsoft) :P. Well if it isn't Linux, it is definitely Unix based. The ELF format is mainly used in Unix based OSes and the PSP, PS2, and PS3 use them. I'm willing to bet that Sony is using parts of Linux, but modifying it enough to squeeze pass the licensing issues (everything has loop holes in them).

They haven't had a decision in the lawsuit last I knew where users filed a suit against Sony over removing the Other OS option.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
If anything it would use the BSD kernel, a much more permissive license that allows derivative works to be closed source.
It probably is BSD-based, after all it does use the UFS2 filesystem, which all BSDs use.

BHXSpecter wrote:
modifying it enough to squeeze pass the licensing issues

That's still unlikely, it'd probably still count as a derivative work. Idk, the GPL isn't very clear on what constitutes a derivative work but I think any modification to a piece of source code counts. This leads you to something like the Ship of Theseus.

They haven't had a decision in the lawsuit last I knew where users filed a suit against Sony over removing the Other OS option.

IMO they don't really have a case. It's a closed platform, Sony can pretty much add and remove whatever features they want. I don't agree with it, but that's how it is.
Now see, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I started with Red Hat, and gone through Knoppix, Fedora, Madrake, Mandriva, Debian, and now use Ubuntu. So I never really looked into the difference of Linux and BSD until now even though I did mess with Open BSD at one point before wiping it out and just turning that drive into my source code/project drive on my desktop. My laptop uses Ubuntu, my desktop used to have Vista, Ubuntu, and OpenBSD, but is now just Vista (2TB) and Ubuntu then the OpenBSD is used for Ubuntu as I said for just my programming projects and writing projects.

As for the lawsuit, I doubt they will win, but still don't know if they ever made a decision yet or not :P.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12