Some New Ideas

closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well, it's me again, Fredbill30. I have some new ideas, and I would like to ask the community if you would agree with this.

The first idea is, since I'm now 12 to create a blog about C++ Game Programming/Programming. It would contain videos and posts about C++, and my new game engine I'm writing from scratch with C++ & SDL, which is right now classified. On my blog would be tips & "Do's and Don't"'s learned from my programming experiences.(The game engine is a 2d RPG engine, I may make an RTS version)

The second idea is to make my own scripting language for my game engine. It would be C/C++ based, but this may or may not happen. I may not use one, or use a already made language such as Squirrel, LUA, or maybe Python.

The third idea is for me to sell my games at school. I'm guessing I can make around $10 - $20 profit from them, some even said they'd like me to give them programming lessons for a decent sum. Also, some even mentioned they'd pay some money &/or pitch in programming to get me KickStarted... for a fraction of my sales. Another thing is, my good friends even mentioned paying me around $25 for my end product or for a beta.
Blogging is always great to get an internet presence fairly easily. And it does good job of keeping of timeline of your experience. Always cool to go back a year and see how much you've progressed.

Unless you're working for a AAA game studio, making an in-house scripting language is kind of like reinventing the wheel. A lot of work for no practical gain.

If you can produce product worthy of selling (seems weird that kids would buy a game you have made for ~$20 when they can spend less for most likely better) then by all means do it.
Unless you're working for a AAA game studio, making an in-house scripting language is kind of like reinventing the wheel. A lot of work for no practical gain.
Yep. It's good as a learning experience, but the result will most likely be inferior to existing solutions.
Any more opinions? I need a few more
I say start a blog, but keep it interesting. Sell your games and make a small interpreted language. Even if it is not use in your games, it can still teach you a lot. Although I would not recommend you teach someone until you know very well what you are doing (not saying you don't, I actually do not know your abilities at all).
I'm guessing I'm good enough to teach. Maybe not. For all I know I may be a horrible teacher..... Any more advice on my Ideas??
Last edited on by Fredbill30
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.