Why Can't ASP.NET Support C++?

closed account (EAUX92yv)
I had the idea of building a web app in C++. I knew ASP.NET supported many languages, so I did a bit of research and found out that ASP.NET nor any other things like it support C++ for web design. Does anyone else wish there was a service like ASP.NET that supported C++. And if I wanted to make something like that, how would I make it?
Well ASP.NET doesn't support C++ because C++ wasn't made by Microsoft and isn't part of the NET framework. As for something like ASP.NET that supports C++, I've never heard of one.

Though, you may want to look into it more as it doesn't support C++, it may support Microsoft's version of C++ (Managed C++).
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
closed account (EAUX92yv)
Yeah but ASP.NET supports things like Javascript, even though that wasn't made by Microsoft. And what is the difference between C++ and Managed C++?
Managed C++ is the result of someone taking a very complicated and very fast language called C++ and making it into very complicated and very slow language called Managed C++.
Last edited on
cstarter2000 wrote:
Yeah but ASP.NET supports things like Javascript, even though that wasn't made by Microsoft. And what is the difference between C++ and Managed C++?

Everything is Microsoft's version or implementation. It is my understanding that while it appears you are using Javascript, ASP.NET is actually using MS's implementation of it called JScript from the reading I've done. Even has JScript.NET from what I've read briefly.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Everything is Microsoft's version or implementation. It is my understanding that while it appears you are using Javascript, ASP.NET is actually using MS's implementation of it called JScript from the reading I've done.
Well, are you ever using anything other than a particular implementation? Or is there some special program that interfaces directly with the platonic JavaScript?
JScript and JavaScript are the same language, they're just implementations of the ECMAScript specification. (ECMAScript being the Platonic ideal form of JavaScript that helios mentioned). The reason JScript is called that instead of JavaScript is for trademark reasons. They're just different implementations of the same specification.

JScript 10/JScript.Net is different, though, because it can only be compiled for .Net.
Why would anyone wish to create webapps in C++? A completely wrong tool for the job, IMHO. In web-apps world, time-to-market is much more important than small performance advantage C++ has over .NET (C#). By the time the JS / C# team deploys their production code to cloud, the C++ team would eventually start coding after long disputes how to manage memory and threading and who writes the web and ORM frameworks (because there are no production-ready ones).
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.