Windows Metro - FUGLY

I'm no oil painting myself but is Windows METRO possibly too UGLY to succeed.
This is old news. And AFAIK, they lost the name "Metro" a long time ago.
Metro is part of the touchscreen movement. Many people will like it because it suits them better: they're mobile, and don't really care about a physical keyboard. For writers, programmers, and everybody else who types a lot, the desktop will remain as it is for a while more.

Otherwise, what is your post about? The start button missing?
It's the lounge - It doesn't have to be about anything
But I was thinking of the look and feel w.r.t the desktop and business environment.
I've been playing with Windows 8 for about 2 weeks and I think it looks great. In terms of aesthetics, I've found the entire OS to be significantly superior to its predecessors.
closed account (DGvMDjzh)
Personally, I don't like the idea of an app orientated environment. I guess I'll stick with Windows 7 the way I sicked with Windows XP and upgrade after 10 years have passed from it's release.
I just used Windows 8 for the first time today. I have to say, it's not bad. It has a nice crisp, polished feel to it. I can see the average user who just browses and plays games and apps to enjoy it. But, it is a huge pain in the ass to get to any real settings, and when you do good luck changing anything. For an end user, it's great. For someone who wants to get the most out of their system and tweak things to their will, it's not so good.
closed account (zb0S216C)
In general, I dislike:

● The "modern" theme
● The bold colours
● The cluttered desktop
● The app-orientated aspect of the design

I think this is Microsoft's attempt to replace the desktop PC with tablets. Personally, I think they're failing in this regard. In addition, the whole idea of a tablet-style theme on a PC with a mouse feels wrong and convoluted. The large buttons, date & time are an unnecessary waste of resources.

I don't think Windows 8 is flying off the shelves: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-windows-8-sales-data-is-in-and-its-horrible-news-for-microsoft-2012-11

Wazzak
But, it is a huge pain in the ass to get to any real settings, and when you do good luck changing anything.

All you have to do is press Win+Q and search for Control Panel to get a Control Panel that, as far as I can tell, is identical to the one from Windows 7. I feel like if you're looking for intense customization, Windows isn't the way to go.

In addition, the whole idea of a tablet-style theme on a PC with a mouse feels wrong and convoluted.

This was the aspect I was most concerned about when I installed the OS, but most of the time things are as simple as move your mouse to the edge of the screen to scroll and swipe down to a corner to access options. Still, there definitely are times when things feel like a tablet would be more efficient.

All you have to do is press Win+Q and search

Ah yea I didn't find this search feature for awhile, and then didn't think to use it to get to control panel. I was getting there through some backwards way since there seems to be no direct way to the control panel. Obviously if I'm using windows I don't expect much customization, but setting some things is nice.

This was the aspect I was most concerned about when I installed the OS, but most of the time things are as simple as move your mouse to the edge of the screen to scroll and swipe down to a corner to access options. Still, there definitely are times when things feel like a tablet would be more efficient.

I agree with this. It's really not that bad as a user. I almost might say I like the new UI, minus my one gripe of it being a challenge to find the control panel.
The most beautiful thing is the command line

EDIT: im beautiful
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.