arrays first vs. vectors first

Pages: 12
It's more important to learn about data structures and algorithms than it is to learn about the syntax and use of a specific programming language.

You don't want to go through life understanding programming only in terms of C++. I think it was Knuth who said, "Don't be a magic button presser".
Last edited on
It's more important to learn about data structures and algorithms than it is to learn about the syntax and use of a specific programming language.

Strawman. I never once said this. We're talking about a C++ course, not a data structures course. A C++ course should teach C++, the language. A data structure course will, you guessed it, teach the data structures and algorithm design.
That's what pisses me off about Python and (specially) Lua. The complexities of operations on their various data structures are anything but clearly documented. Python even commits the sin of calling random access sequences "lists".
Yes. Knowing the characteristics of containers and how they are implemented can increase your effective use of said containers.

But this isn't about the most efficient use of containers. This is about whether to introduce std::vector before arrays, and arguments concerning efficient use of std:: containers in that context seem rather specious. We already know beginners first learning these concepts will not be efficient at using either arrays or containers. Why, then, should it matter whether they know everything they need to at the point of introduction to use the containers maximally? They won't be able to do so in any case.

Some of you are reasoning as if introducing a vector first means the native array type would be completely ignored, and I don't see how it follows. You don't just introduce the vector and say, " Done! Go find a job!"

You don't just introduce the vector and say, " Done! Go find a job!"

This gave me a chuckle
Strawman. I never once said this. We're talking about a C++ course, not a data structures course. A C++ course should teach C++, the language. A data structure course will, you guessed it, teach the data structures and algorithm design.

Some C++ courses are actually data structures and algorithms courses. The language is often chosen as a platform for teaching concepts and programming fundamentals.

It think it's rare that a University teaches a specific language just to teach the language. That is something better suited for learning on your own as there are many languages, and they go in and out of fashion, while programming fundamentals and concepts are fairly universal.
Last edited on
Some C++ courses are actually data structures and algorithms courses. The language is often chosen as a platform for teaching concepts and programming fundamentals.

At my university we have an actual course for data structures and algorithms. We also offer varying programming language courses each semester that are purely electives. I've been referring to a class that has the intent of teaching C++. For example, the course I took simply called "C++". I really doubt you have a course called "C++" that instead teaches data structures and theory and not the actual C++ language.
At my university we have an actual course for data structures and algorithms. We also offer varying programming language courses each semester that are purely electives. I've been referring to a class that has the intent of teaching C++. For example, the course I took simply called "C++". I really doubt you have a course called "C++" that instead teaches data structures and theory and not the actual C++ language.

I guess your right.

I was just talking, in general, in regards to the line of discussion about wether or not it is important to know how containers are implemented or not.
Last edited on
closed account (iw0XoG1T)
Does any University have a course titled "C++" ? And what would the syllabus look like?

If they do I would hope that it is a gen-ed course and not a requirement.
Last edited on
My university did. They offer a couple different language courses a semester as electives
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12