VS2012 opinions?

I finally got around to getting it myself (was delaying due to that crap with Secure download manager and the only option being an .iso). Anyway, I'd say it's solid. I generally use C::B if I use an IDE but I may have to change to this.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I have never liked VS. What do you like about it?
I like the level of support for C++11 they offer (assuming you have the November update).

Visual Studio was already ahead of GCC in VS2010 in some areas I care about (unicode conversions and regular expressions, both still absent from gcc), but they were far behind on other important features. Today they've caught up on almost everything they missed.

(although I still consider clang++/libc++ the best compiler/library as far as C++11 standard conformance goes. VS2012 implemented almost everything, but they have more bugs to fix)
Last edited on
This may be a C# issue and not really the IDE, but so far I am not liking how I can't create an empty project. The best I can seem to find is a console app for C#, but even that comes with a bunch of using x; and has my code wrapped inside a namespace? Not sure if this just C# or not though, I can't seem to find anything about it online. Only reason I actually got VS was to work with C#

EDIT:
And I'm pretty certain it's making me use it's solution/project system. Why can't I just create a new class and go from there?
Last edited on
I definitely like it much better than 10.0, primarily because of the much improved IntelliSense performance. 10.0 was unbearable. At times I would hit Ctrl+Space and have to wait 10-20 seconds before a menu appeared. 9.0 was much smoother, but IntelliSense tended to break much more easily, particularly when using certain parts of Boost. Now it's just right.
@ResidentBiscuit
There should be an option on the create project wizard to tick a checkbox labeled "Empty Project". At least that's how it is in VS2010. But then again, kudos to Microsoft if the modified something of such dire importance (lol).

@helios
I've never had that problem with the IntelliSense; it's always been lightning fast for me. The problem I have with 10 is the real time error highlighting that lags behind and sometimes marks things that have nothing to do with the current error. Even so, it's much nicer than having no error highlighting.

@Cubbi
Yeah, that's the pitfall of VS2010 (what i use). It only has a small portion of C++11 implemented. And some things that they haven't implemented completely yet were included with the product by accident and removed later, like std::thread. Glad to hear it was improved in VS2012.

I keep wanting to get VS2012, but it is just not in my budget; and i'm too anal about how i do everything to download the express version. I have to be able to have all of my coding environments in one. :P

How is the 2012 GUI, btw?
Did Microsoft try to make it fit with Windows 8? Or is it normal, the way it should be?
Last edited on
There should be an option on the create project wizard to tick a checkbox labeled "Empty Project". At least that's how it is in VS2010

Oh trust me, I've looked. I sure can't find it.

I keep wanting to get VS2012, but it is just not in my budget

I got it for free from dreamspark.

How is the 2012 GUI, btw?
Did Microsoft try to make it fit with Windows 8? Or is it normal, the way it should be?

It's definitely for Windows 8. I think (don't quote me on this) apps have different looks for windows 8. Like they'll have a "Metro" look, and the classic desktop look. I'm only saying this because Chrome on Windows 8 does not open in the Metro GUI, it only opens in the desktop.
Oh trust me, I've looked. I sure can't find it.

Hmm. It could just be a C# thing? I can't imagine the wizards would be different, though. There has to be an option somewhere... Worst case scenario you should be able to create a template project with only what you want to start with in there and use that every time.

I got it for free form dreamspark.

Why have i never heard of this...?!
Downloading, winning, thank you!

closed account (1yR4jE8b)
It's better than 2010, and it's the only IDE I can use ReSharper with for my .NET stuff so I'm kinda locked in. I don't mind though, for C/C++ and .NET no other IDE comes even close to VS for me.

For my Java, Python, Ruby stuff I use IntelliJ for everything else, I use VS 2012.
Thumper - It's partially a C# thing. The format for your Main() is C#, but the usings are Visual Studio. I don't see why these would be an issue; they don't impact performance.

Currently running VS2012 Ultimate, got it for free from MSDNAA through my college.

From a GUI designer standpoint, the visual overhaul was well done. Their predominantly black/white color scheme allows for other, significant symbols to stand out, the naturally high-contrast aesthetic lets the visually-impaired share the same environment, and even though very little has changed in terms of what's available at your fingertips, the difference in color scheme makes it all seem much tighter and more compact.[/run-on]

Since I'm running off of an SSD I can't really say much for its performance for project creation. But the intellisense is vastly improved over VS2010 and its performance in C++ has become much closer to its performance in C#.

Its integrated support for web development has been heavily improved upon (most likely due to Windows 8's move to use technologies similar to what's used on the web.) Despite the reasoning for it, I can't complain since it does a hell of a job with helping me out in HTML5 development.

Although, my favorite thing that they brought back from VS2008 is the Forward and Backward buttons for your code browsing history. The fact that it was missing in 2010 was almost a deal-breaker.
Is VS2012 even available for Windows 7?

I'm not opposed to running Win8... I'm just not willing to upgrade my entire OS just for one program.
I'm running VS2012 Express on Windows 7, so I'd assume the full version is OK to run as well.
I'm running Pro on Windows 7, I haven't been using it much but am now starting to to play with c++11 features. So far I like it more then 2010 except it surprises me this doesn't compile for me std::vector<int> vs = {1,2,3,4,5};
@NGen
I'm running off a SSD also, so yeah i suppose it's hard to see disk related performance problems, lol.

@Disch
Yeah, it is available for Windows 7.

@naraku9333
Initializer lists still aren't entirely supported in VS2012.
In early november Microsoft announced the Visual C++ Compiler November 2012 CTP, which supports a a lot more C++11 features (including initializer lists, supposedly.) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35515
Download and install that. I haven't finished my VS2012 install yet, i'm just doing research. So if it works for you i'd like to hear.
EDIT: Further research shows that said compiler does not yet come with an updated version of the standard library to use the vector initializer_list constructor. :(
EDIT2: Because the november compiler has initializer list support, just not the updated STL, you can create a wrapper for whichever container you'd like to support an initializer list constructor. (Sort of seems like overkill, but it's all part of the fun.)
#include <initializer_list>
#include <vector>

template<class T>
class CVector : public std::vector<T>
{
public:
	CVector(std::initializer_list<T> list) {
		for(auto &i: list)
			this->push_back(i);
	}
};

That might not be the perfect, exception safe way to do it, but i'm able to compile:
CVector<int> v{25, 30, 50};
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.