Question about GRUB

Through circumstance, a friend acquired a server mother board with 64Gigs of ram installed with room (and compatibility) to double it. As well, he has a SSD or two at his disposal. Basically the plan is to store a snapshot of a complete installation of Ubuntu on the SSD and load it all into ram on boot. I've never done any serious configuration of Grub before, so I wasn't sure if doing something like this with it would even be a possibility. But if it is, do guys have any thoughts on how I might go about doing this?

edit: forgot to actually ask my question. Fixed it. What can I say, it's 4 a.m. :P
Last edited on
> a complete installation of Ubuntu on the SSD and load it all into ram on boot.
¿like a live CD?
I use a script that starts together with X, which reads all the files that are needed during a normal session.
They reside in the page cache after that.

Although I found that this provides little benefit with an SSD. Whether the files are read from the SSD or the page cache has become nearly irrelevant.
Last edited on
ne555 wrote:
¿like a live CD?

... dammit. What can I say, it was 4 am :P
A Live CD generally does not load its entire contents into RAM at boot. It works the same way as when booting from a normal hard disk/SSD (data is read from the disc when it is first accessed).
Some Linux live CDs load everything into memory at boot... Damn Small Linux, for example.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Use a Ramdisk? http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-create-linux-ram-disk-filesystem/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.