Adding an Edit feature to cplusplus

Pages: 12
Topic on these forums can get pretty ugly with new users stopping by everyday to post their un-formatted code with a "no work, fix pls" label in the title. An edit feature would be really appreciated for this site, though i would guess that is not an easy task to implement. A little brainstorming:

[] People with 250+ posts may have the option to edit posts in all forums but lounge
[] Edits are sent to be approved by a couple forum moderators, who look at the changes and hit 'approve' or 'decline'

As a little added fun...
[] The persons profile shows both posts and number of approved edits(to show your commitment to the growth of our community!)
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Only thing it would be useful for is editing posts for people that forget to use codetags, the only problem is that it wouldn't help with that. The reason is that once the person posts the code is already not formatted (all the indentation is removed) so even if you did edit their post you would have to spend the time to reformat their code. It would be just as easy to re post their code after you reformatted it in a reply.

Now if there could be a way to be able to auto code-tags code whenever source code is posted that would be a nice feature :)
Last edited on
We don't have moderators, we have an admin, maybe two, but no moderators.
> It would be just as easy to re post their code after you reformatted it in a reply.
There, a workaround.
Except for the title, in which case you could make a proper thread and link it.

Too much work, in my opinion.
Only thing it would be useful for is editing posts for people that forget to use codetags, the only problem is that it wouldn't help with that. The reason is that once the person posts the code is already not formatted (all the indentation is removed) so even if you did edit their post you would have to spend the time to reformat their code.

I'm pretty sure the original indentation is preserved, but I'm also pretty sure this is a bad idea. People are capable of editing their own posts... let 'em edit.

This
  is
    indented
              strangely. 

[edit: Added code tags -> indentation was preserved.]
Last edited on
Weird always thought indentation was destroyed when posting since most code that is not in code tags always has no indentation, but could be just bad formatting choices on the users part I guess.
The text is saved on the server exactly as it is when you submit it, but not when it's rendered in the browser. Aside from highlighting syntax, putting code tags tells the browser not to strip leading whitespace. The whitespace is always there, but without code (or output) tags you can't see it. So if you edited someone's post, you'd just have to put code tags, you wouldn't have to manually indent their code unless they didn't indent it in the first place.
Ahh thank you chrisname that actually explains a lot. So I take back my objection it would be kind of useful for putting code tags in, but still not sure if it would be worth it. Could see it being abused very easily, and personally even if I forgot to post code tags or something I still wouldn't like the idea of someone else going in and changing my post just because they got more posts then me.
Last edited on
maybe the admin could be alerted to fit sumthing with code tags, i think some rating system that would prove commitment will cheapen the site and turn good people into bad moderators, if you want that go to dream code (bunch of elitist control freak basment dwelling mupmups)
I still think this is the simplest way to handle it:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/79938/#msg430499
Dream code is a great forum and a great community devon, its just you had a bad experience with them which we all heard about here lol. Most of the people their are nice helpful people and they have a great selection of useful information.

And I agree Duoas that is probably one of the best idea's for code tags, and very simple to implement.
Last edited on
yeah i know they got useful stuff i have to use slow ass net tools and bloody email myself their tutorials when i want to read them,(and i dont know how they work i hate that) fancy excluding someone from someone elses rich sources of infomation just cos of vain little disagreements in courtesy, a hack flem at their 'community' and i got the flu

sry, still sensitive nerve but even though spoonlicker would never of happened, a few of us wouldnt be here if it was for rep-points and other balls
Last edited on
To be honest devon I have seen the stuff you posted on dreamcode forums and I'm not surprised they banned you. The way I see the dreamcode forums and their members is that they want to have a professional vibe to the site. Its like any job you can still have fun while you are at work but you need to do it in a mature and reasonable way and a lot of your posts their were not mature or reasonable. This forum is much more laid back in the lounge area and its got a different vibe, but that doesn't make it a better or worse site just different. So you might as well bury the grudge you have for them, cause its not going to do you any good ;p.

Anyways sorry for the off topicness
nah it was just technical mistakes, i think theres a different devon
closed account (18hRX9L8)
cire wrote:
I'm pretty sure the original indentation is preserved, but I'm also pretty sure this is a bad idea. People are capable of editing their own posts... let 'em edit.

This
  is
    indented
              strangely. 

[edit: Added code tags -> indentation was preserved.]

It is a function , not strange.

Line #  | # of White Spaces
     1     |               0
     2     |               2
     3     |               4
     4     |               14

^^Glitch?

There are 2 possibilities: The number of indentation white spaces can be found by adding the last 2 line numbers by 2 to the last line number. For example:
14=(3*2)+(2^3)

The second possibility is that the number of indentation white spaces can be found by adding the factorial of line numbers before the latest line by 2 to the last line number. For example:
14=(3!)+(2^3)

We need more indentations cire!
Last edited on
I know you guys hate TABS, but I use them at the start of my lines because they appear automatically in Visual Studio. In my IDE I use 4 spaces per tab. The tabs here are 8 spaces per tab which drives me crazy! I don't mind a difference, but 8 spaces per tab? It's so messy!
Tabs are 8 columns wide, anything else is blasphemy. If you don't like it, use spaces instead.
Tabs are 8 columns wide, anything else is blasphemy

I hope this is trolling. 8 spaces is so huge :O
Standard tab size is 8 columns and always has been. If you want less, use spaces. You should probably be using spaces anyway, tabs are inflexible. You can configure most editors to treat spaces as tabs anyway.
Standard tab size is 8 columns and always has been.

Not for any good reason. 5 was supposed to be the standard (de facto), which would have been much better.

On a related note,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_tabstop
Last edited on
Pages: 12