C# is The Language Of The Year

Pages: 123
Well I was looking at this website and found this interesting thing for you people. If you want to learn any programming language after C++ my recommendation is to learn this article this really going to help you in deciding.

http://infinityloopers.com/c-is-the-language-of-the-year/#
PYPL seems to measure which languages non-programmers try to program in. I find it hard to believe that Java has as much market share as C, C++, and C# combined.

TIOBE is more reliable, but I really have to question it as well. Is Visual Basic really as popular as their index indicates? I can't imagine that the number of VB programmers is more than half the number of C++ programmers.

It would also be interesting to see statistics per platform. Java and Objective-C are boosted quite a bit because of mobile app development, which isn't really comparable to development on other platforms which actually support many programming languages. Ranking languages based on search results cannot provide this kind of data.
closed account (zb0S216C)
The title offends me.

Wazzak
I don't think the article was that good, but I do like C#.

@Framework
This again? Can you seriously not stop flamebaiting?
Isn't JavaScript the language with the most written code? I'd have assumed it is, anyway. It's certainly the most-used language on GitHub:
http://github.com/languages
Last edited on
chrisname wrote:
"This again? Can you seriously not stop flamebaiting?"

I'm entitled to an opinion. No one said I couldn't post comments on threads that involve C#. I would appreciate it if you could respect my comments and leave it at that.

P.S: Stop causing arguments.

Wazzak
"I am offended" isn't an opinion, it's a statement, and you were clearly flamebaiting.
Look, it's clear you're trying to start an argument so just stop it. It's an opinion so leave it at that.

Wazzak
Alright. I wasn't trying to start an argument; I did interpret your post as flamebait, but I'll leave it here.
The PYPL seams fishy to me. They first dispute that Objective-C had the biggest increase in usage in 2012, and claim that C# did. Then they go on to show you charts which exclude Objective-C entirely.

And I know that TIBOE is measuring a different thing, but they put C# as the language with the most decline of all in 2012.
Last edited on
As Windows as a platform occupies about 75% (as I think ) of all installed OS then it is nothing strange that C# is the langauge of the year.

C++ is a programming language.

C# is a programming technolodgy.
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Well there will always be different opinions about the language of the year and other such claims unless there comes along 1 language that does everything and all the others fade away. For instance how would you base the winner of the language of the year? Most programs programmed in that language? What program language made most of the best selling software for that year? Most innovative language? The list goes on and on.

Unless one language can top the charts for every one of them there will be no certain "winner".

Like that quote said that has been floating around these forums
There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always bitch about and those nobody uses. -- Bjarne Stroustrup
Last edited on
vlad from moscow wrote:
C++ is a programming language.

C# is a programming technolodgy.

What do you mean?
I think vlad is using the definition that means a language is something that is compiled directly to machine code and not bytecode or other in-between states not directly interpreted by the OS. Of course this makes Java a programming language only on Java Machines, where Java bytecode is machine code.
But C# uses the exact same model as Java; it's AOT-compiled to an intermediate language (Java bytecode for Java, "Common Intermediate Language" for C#) when the program is compiles, and then JIT-compiled to native code when the program is run on the virtual machine (Java Virtual Machine for Java, Common Language Runtime for C#).

I just don't understand the distinction between "language" and "technology".
Last edited on
Language - is a tool to write code.
Technolodgy is a set of numerous tools.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Well that doesn't make much sense to me... By your meaning Notepad.exe is a language, since it is a tool to write code. Also not sure how you would define a tool.

I must be missing something...
I would call languages, languages. The technology that runs them (JVM, CIL, compilers, assemblers, etc.) is technology.

As an aside, I could write code on a napkin from McDonald's. Does that make the napkin and pen a language, vlad?
Well that doesn't make much sense to me... By your meaning Notepad.exe is a language, since it is a tool to write code. Also not sure how you would define a tool.

A person is a mammal. An elephant is a mammal. Therefore an elephant is a person.

Last edited on
That's not the same line of reasoning at all.
Pages: 123