Good visual c++ and c# for beginners

What books do you recommend for a beginner?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
How much of a beginner? Total, "don't know the first thing about programming" or "done some other stuff and want to learn a few new languages"?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
If you have some experience with programming I would recommend this book Accelerated C++, Its probably one of the best books I have read for C++ (At least on the beginner subjects). It has a little bit larger learning curve, but it also teaches you useful stuff very quickly. Unlike other books that teach C before they teach C++ this one jumps right into C++.
The most full and easy to read book on C# is "PRO C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform" by Andrew Troelsen. But in any case it reuires some knowledge on programming from a reader.
closed account (zb0S216C)
C#: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5795/recommended-books-for-learning-c
C++: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

Wazzak
closed account (18hRX9L8)
The Art and Science of C by Eric E Roberts. My favorite. It's C though.
Last edited on
closed account (ETAkoG1T)
I think it is weird that no one has mentioned c++ primer plus. I own it, it is a great book. Haven't read through it yet, but I like the way it teaches you. It has good questions at the end of each chapter and some really good chapter exercises. The book has very many example codes and explains them all, none of which had any errors. I have the newest edition(6th) and it looks like it does a great job of covering 2011 content.
My favorite. It's C though.

OP asked about C++ and C# =P

</me being a wiseass>
Last edited on
Disch,
what does OP mean? (I know it can mean overpowered)
Original Poster.
TY, don't have to wonder about that anymore ;) I thought it had something to do with it but wasn't sure. Is there any good books about algorithms that is for beginners? Can't find any.
@Filiprei
Is there any good books about algorithms that is for beginners? Can't find any.

There is such an old book as "STL Tutorial and Reference Guide" by D.R. Musser, G.J. Derge, A. Saini that can serve as a good introduction to standard algorithms.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.