Host files

closed account (LN7oGNh0)
any url with '127.0.0.1' on the same line means it is blocked, right? If there are a whole bunch of these would it be ok to delete them. (meaning I would be able to gain access to those websites). Also, why are there so many for adobe??? The only ones that are there are for adobe, (of course two others).

Just to let you know, I wasnt going to do something silly with them. I was just looking through them. To be honest I dont know much about them anyway so thats why I asked here first. Lots of websites say how to edit host files, but not which ones.

Thanks.
Last edited on
127.0.0.1 is an IP address that loops back to your computer.
Yes. Thats what all these websites say but is it ok to delete the ones under this area:

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
//rest of stuff..
Last edited on
closed account (ETAkoG1T)
Can someone please explain this to me, am I missing something or does the question not make sense?
127.0.0.1 is the IPv4 loop back address. I can't tell you anything else without more information. Typically though, don't go messing around in config files unless you know what you're doing.
Those lines are already deleted because they start with a hash.
Ok thank you.
the HOST file is used to define custom name resolution. You're computer looks to the HOST file to resolve IP addresses before chatting with the DNS server. The most common use for this is blocking things you never want to see, and this almost never needs to be touched by a typical user.
Also, if you have Spybot Search & Destroy on your computer, it's likely that there are a lot of entries in the HOST file; spybot puts them there as a line of defense because they're common malware infested sites.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.