• Forum
  • Lounge
  • longest project you ever took on your ow

longest project you ever took on your own

guys ive been working on a project for almost 9 months:P of course off and on cause of my life and things happening...im only in the 10th grade hopeing to do this for a living....do i need to learn more stuff or keep working on this game lol if you wanna check out the beta its at justinmlewis.webs.com ....doing this game has taught me many hard learned lessons about the c++ language....so just wondering whats the longest project you've worked on?
Been working on a game with a few other people, on and off for the last 3 years. One of the first C++ projects I ever worked on, and gradual experience caused various rewrites using gradually better practices. Still not done yet, but at this point I don't really consider it a project that's meant to be "done".
Well, I've worked on different aspects of a game project, been doing tests for it for 16 years now. Outside of that project I normally get whatever I am working on to a semi working order then move on.
never done a project before! its always practice with me, and never really more than 400 lines :/ maybe i should get on it
this was sopposed to be my unltimate c++ test to see if i truly knew it or not
Thats a good plan, what is your project?
you can check it out at www.justinmlewis.webs.com...im trying to get like a portfolio to show the ppl wherever you get a job lol i will be updateing it and stuff...the version that is there is beta 1.0....there is one glaring bug that i know of that actually isn't my fault...it's a sfml 1.6 bug....the setscalex funtion scales it but where the data says the sprite is....is actually NOT where it is....i tried to just wing it but i just can't im going to have to make 40 different platform pictures but if it fixes it im fine
I have several incomplete projects that has taken months, some of which I’ve lost interest and will never finished. Now the biggest project I’ve completed for commercial use only took me 3 weeks or so. The company I work for ask for it and I spent a lot of time/day to have completed as soon as possible.

Basically, projects can take any amount of time and depending on your knowledge of a language and the complexity it can take a long time… However, the intended market for your program may have strict deadlines, also you don’t want your program to be obsolete before it is released.

PS. The above mention was with C#. I just recently started learning C++ a few months ago. And I do not work as a programmer, I do sales/marketing, but the company I work for figured they could have me do some software to help me with my programming portfolio.
The longest project I've been working on is a music player. I've been working on it for about a year now, although I have almost completely put it on the back-burning during school.

It's far along, but there is so much more to do. It still lacks the ability to read metadata and display album art. It also currently does not support MP3's, and cannot play CD's or DVD's.

During my winter break I've spent many many hours just re-factoring. I literally spent a few weeks working on it, and as a result, ended up with almost 1000 less lines of code and identical functionality.

I've also worked on a few games: 3D pong, human made black triangle UFO vs alien made flying saucer boss battle, a Mars rover game where you would try and get past obstacles (which didn't get very far), and an "arcade style" hangman like game.

Last edited on
Five (going on six) years, 15 scraps and countless hours of toil and self education; all put into a chat-bot. I started off with the dream of building a machine that could recognize and emulate emotion. Later on, and by that I mean a year or so later on, I learned that I simply could not do this on my own. Not with the knowledge I had or the hardware at my disposal.

After that I changed the focus to a chat-bot meant to be an interactive assistant. Imagine Siri minus voice control or synthesis and run from the command line. Needless to say I realized that was futile soon after. Once I realized this I began spending time pulling all salvageable code from the project, or really any snippet that was note worthy for my self, and then let the project idle for almost a year. After that, and plenty of time spent learning new techniques and philosophies in programming and learning various theories for how to implement AI, i started to port my salvaged code from C++ to Java and Clojure, and at the same time C and LISP.

edit: hold place, gotta go and will pick up this post later
My x86 OS which I've been working on in various incarnations since late 2009. It's probably been on hold more than not, though. At the moment all it does is initialisation, although actually adding a scheduler and processes and threads shouldn't be too hard. I'm putting it on hold indefinitely while I work on my Raspberry Pi OS, which is also on hold until I get an SD card (microSD seems not to work).
Last edited on
I've been working on a Terraria server manager for like 4 months now. https://github.com/Thumperrr/Terraria_Server_Manager
It's relatively idle at the moment because I have zero time to work on it, but that's my current long-term project.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I have a few projects that I took on to get into concepts such as parsing, asynchronous networking, and/or GUI development.

I've grown to realize that people must be *forced* to change and you must continuously wave software that is better than current solutions in order for anyone to even begin using it. Even then, the lack of knowledge of licensing in software is beyond ridiculous. I've had code *stolen* and claimed as someone else's, I've had people asking me to take my code for proprietary use with no mention of contribution for me, I've had people just flat out tell me they're taking my code and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

Honestly, aside from the occasional contribution to a project here and there, I've not had much fun working with projects. Only when I contribute to a larger project who is already well established do I feel like I've actually done something.

Anyways, my largest project was probably my minecraft server. It was a hunk o' shit but it was well over 4000 lines. It was maybe a year and a half ago, it had just started progressing into being able to walk around. I grew tired of some already growing hatred of my software, mostly about how poor it was (for instance, I was using Boost.ASIO via the syncronous API which caused for slow ticks and ill-design caused thread blockages everywhere). After awhile, I took it down from its google repo because of little interest and what little interest it had, was just from a bunch of haters who had nothing to contribute but felt the need to voice that my software sucked.

Man I hate people sometimes...
It's funny how if you show a non-programmer your code, they think you're a super-genius because they can't read it (like when you show basic integration to the uninitiated and they think you're a wizard), but when you show them the running program, if it doesn't work flawlessly, have a production-quality GUI and do something they understand then it's a boring, pointless waste of time.

"Hey, let me show you the operating system I've been working on four 8 months. I just added support for threading."
"I don't get it, all it does is print A and B. You spent 8 months on this? It would've taken you five minutes to just write A and B over and over yourself."
@chrisname
Preach it, man.
It still feels like someone's stomping on your heart every time; even though I see it coming now.

To be fair, basic integration does look like archaic scripture. I suppose code does also, TO THE UNTRAINED EYE!
I've been working on a project for over 17 years now. Thousands, possibly millions and billions of people have contributed to the project, not just its two founders. In fact, I'd say it's been in the works for close to my current age plus nine months, possibly plus however old the universe is. I've only been able to contribute to this project and others for 17 years.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.