Programming language

ok this is to go along with my file extensions post. (I thought I might as well learn about that before I get started). but does anyone have good tutorial on how to make a programming language. I've searched online found one good tutorial, but the sight is not displaying right.(already tried compatibility view). here are my basic features

compiled ,interpreted ,don't care
basic looping: while ,for
basic branching: if
string input
string output

thanx ahead of time
compiled ,interpreted ,don't care

You should care, this is the biggest design decision one makes when designing a programming language.

Also bear in mind that this is a topic that people take years of classes on in college, so there isn't so much a "tutorial" on it readily available. With that said, it'll be worth your time to check sites such as ocw.mit.edu and look around for classes on compiler programming.

This isn't ever something I've researched but this webpage (http://www.freetechbooks.com/compiler-design-and-construction-f14.html) seems to have some good information. This is also a question that has been asked hundreds of times on the internet and Google is your friend, so: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+make+a+programming+language!!!!!!

I hope this isn't too discouraging, but compiler programming is incredibly difficult so it's going to take a lot of determination on your part, but is totally doable.
Last edited on
I would really like a compiled language. but that might be too complex. so I am also open to interpreted also
shoot all you ppl wanting to create new programming languages are wasteing your time....there are plenty of good languages out there
shoot all you ppl wanting to create new programming languages are wasteing your time....there are plenty of good languages out there

That's not necessarily the point of programming a new language.
Yes, I do argee with supperpiccle. In almost cases you should not try to make a programming language. My intepreter itself is very complex although it's based on C++, and if you want to implement this by assembly... Unless you have a large team or you want to improve your programming skill otherwise in my opinion it only wastes your time...
Last edited on
That's not necessarily the point of programming a new language.

Then what is ascii? i know that you learn from it but where would you ever use it again?
would you at least say writing an editor for an existing lang is worth my time. I am planning to an ASM editor that uses NASM
Any programming at all i guess is not a complete waste of time.....it could end up being something you just never know
Last edited on
I have a feeling that many people are confusing language design with translator (compiler or interpreter) programming.
Language can be designed with pen and paper alone, although a proof-of-concept translator is essential for experiments.
is what your setting out to do harder than making an OS? im sure it is but how much harder??
probably not I tried making an OS I failed horribly

I agree with you Cubbi. I have however already worked out some language design. I need the translator
Last edited on
@supperpiccle

In house made scripting languages are all over the place. Really. It is incredibly common for a company to create a custom language to interface with some product of their's, as far as I can tell most often with system level programming.
It's a shame the interactive roster of programming languages is gone, it listed "8512 languages, complete with 17837 bibliographic records featuring 11064 extracts from those references", and that was quite a few years ago.
I have heard of doing that
Then what is ascii? i know that you learn from it but where would you ever use it again?

There you go: you learn from it. Furthermore hobbies are fun and worthwhile. Pursuing interests and knowledge is good, I don't see why anyone would advise against it.
@James, try https://www.coursera.org/course/compilers
Also, you should make use of the suggestions from that thread http://cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/85713/ if you have the patience to excavate them from all the clutter.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
@JM
Yes, I do argee with supperpiccle. In almost cases you should not try to make a programming language. My intepreter itself is very complex although it's based on C++, and if you want to implement this by assembly... Unless you have a large team or you want to improve your programming skill otherwise in my opinion it only wastes your time...

Might want to follow your own advice. Can't want to see yours (Sarcasm) :). Sorry to bring some flaming to this thread.
supperpiccle wrote:
i know that you learn from it but where would you ever use it again?
I learned how to do long division in elementary school. I haven't actually used that information since then, I have a calculator for that.
Whether or not I'll ever do long division by hand again is irrelevant; the knowledge I've gained and mental connections I've made are what really matter.
You can hardly ever take things at face value. Once you learn that, you're able to open so many more doors in life.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.