Software Survey

Pages: 12
Hello! Cave Johnson, here! I am taking a survey on which C/C++ programming software is liked more by you guys! Please don't hate. Just say your opinions on programming software you have/are previously/recently/currently using. :D
I personally like VC++, but only because it's one of the only ones I've used. Code::Blocks, to me, sucked. No offence, I just didn't like it.

VC++ = 1 C::B = 0 (Add more software to the leader board! :D)

WHICH ONE SHALL WIN?
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
My current environment consists of:

Editor: vim
Compiler: gcc
Build System: tup

No need to get more specific, I have a general *nix environment past this.
Last edited on
I personally liked code blocks with gcc , visual c++ is good but only on a windows platform and some of its syntax are a bit different than gcc. also code blocks is free(commercial use also),open source and light weight on computer resources too , it supports plugins and has everything one would require to build a program as well as it is convenient to use.it supports most ide's project files , most common compilers by default , dev paks also.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Not sure if this is for software in general or software related to programming... but here some software related to programming that I find useful and like.

QT Creator - There is just something about the environment that I like. It is actually a very good editor, and has some nice features. And for simple GUI's the designer is a great help.

Visual Assist - When I use Visual Studio's I MUST use Visual Assist. This is a amazing add-on that helps you edit your code, makes the code easier to read quickly, and improves tool tips and auto complete for visual studios. It is a paid software and costs about $99 dollars for a hobbyist / individual developer license ($49 for students), but it well worth the money in my opinion.
I use vim (vi when I must)
For C and C++ I use gedit and clang (I highly recommend it over g++ purely for its error messages). For C# I use MonoDevelop.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Visual Studio + Visual Assist simply because of how quickly I get stuff done. I tried code::blocks at one point, then encountered a bug with it and reported it on their site only to get hit with the worst customer service reply in world history: "It's open source, fix it yourself!" Needless to say, I deleted code::blocks from my systems and it's not going back on.

* And if by chance we weren't supposed to be discussing IDEs...my favorite software written in C would have to be the DOOM franchise.
Last edited on
Visual Studio + Visual Assist simply because of how quickly I get stuff done. I tried code::blocks at one point, then encountered a bug with it and reported it on their site only to get hit with the worst customer service reply in world history: "It's open source, fix it yourself!" Needless to say, I deleted code::blocks from my systems and it's not going back on.

Code::blocks doesn't have customers.

What was the bug?
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
iseeplusplus wrote:
Code::blocks doesn't have customers.

That's abundantly clear, but if they somehow did (or choose to in the future), their borderline cocky support would probably drive them away in a heartbeat. I know this is a generalization of the code::blocks team, but in my eyes a single staff member is more than enough to tarnish the reputation of the entire generalized team. Professionalism should be enforced in all environments that view themselves as such, be it open source or not.

iseeplusplus wrote:
What was the bug?

Something along the lines of the IDE flat-out crashing when a messagebox that should have been modal (but wasn't) was sent to the background. It's been a little while, so I can't recall exactly how to replicate it. One thing was certain though, if you accidentally clicked outside of the box and typed something, then the IDE would bomb.
Last edited on
Really depends on what I'm writing and which system I'm using.

On Windows, it's VS.

Mac, depends. XCode for iOS projects, vim and gcc for any CL based projects.

Unix, vim and gcc.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I should also mention clang. Without clang... I would spend more time crying in a corner from the scary error message gcc gives than I would be programming. Thanks clang, seriously. You allow me to somewhat cope with Boost and C++ in general.
Last edited on
I don't like or hate any of them. I see them all as great learning experiences. I've used a lot of tools.

Editors: Geany, Notepad, Notepad++, EditPlus, Vim, Emacs, Nano, Programmer's Notepad

IDEs: MSVS Express Edition, Qt Creator, Code::Blocks, Dev-C++

Compilers: GCC, MinG, Microsoft's CL

Other Tools
=========
Modelers: 3DS Max, Blender, Wings3d, Milkshape 3D, Lightwave, Maya, Gmax

Image Editors: Photoshop Pro, Paintshop Pro, Corel Draw, Gimp, Softimage

Sound: Audacity, Music Creator

I don't like software (even if it is written in C++), but I like C++ :)
VS2012 Profession or,
Bash + Gedit/Emacs + G++
I've been using code::blocks just as an editor and make to build. With gnome 3, guake and having memorized a lot of the shortcut keys in code::blocks, I hardly ever need to use the mouse.

In the last few days I've been giving Sublime Text a shot. It's really cool, but the code completion is not very intelligent when it comes to C++. Downloading the SublimeClang plugin makes the code even better than code::blocks, except that it causes Sublime to freeze up constantly on my system. I want to use it, but it's just easier to use code::blocks at the moment.

I'm also planning to move from make to cmake or scons.

For revision control I've been using FOSSIL.

I'm thinking about giving QT creator a try.

My primary IDE would be VS 2012. because I can use it for both C# and C++ and I think it is a prerequisite for a project I'm working on for Windows 8 Metro.

However, on my laptop i also use Dev-C++ and i really like notepad++ to read source files in general.

I use C4Droid on my phone and DroidEdit.
Typically, but it will vary depending on what the client or application requirements are.

IDE: Eclipse CDT or MS Visual Studio
Compiler: GCC (x64), TDM-GCC (x64), Visual Studio
Make System: CMAKE (with custom python wrappers)
Automated Build System: Jenkins
Version Control: SVN, GIT
Operating Systems: All
Editor: nano
K0T4K0t4 wrote:

Editor: nano

I'd use nano but for one single problem I have with it... how on earth do you stop it colouring whitespace? I need the colours but I don't want my tabs highlighted, it's just irritating.
Pages: 12