Good Books For Pre-College Student

Pages: 12
As the title states, I am looking for good(can be read free) fiction books, that a programmer would enjoy. When I say programmer I mean do not suggest books like "50 Shades Of Grey". Thanks.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Well what do you like? There are many different categories of book, and not everyone has the same taste just because they code. Hell I'm sure we even have some coders here that love romance novels.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Kindle -> Bestsellers in Fiction -> Top 100 Free

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bestsellers-Kindle-Store-Fiction/zgbs/digital-text/362270031/ref=zg_bs_unv_kinc_3_362827031_1
@Zero True, but odds are we all have similar tastes, and even if we do not, this thread could help other like me. I enjoyed the following books:

* The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
* The Book Of Lies
* All Narnia Series
* NOT Harry Potter
* NOT (NOT) Twilight

Could I possibly enjoy "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" ?
Any other suggestions?
One series that I really liked if you like fantesty novels is "The Black Company" series by Gleen Cook I believe. Thats just me though i'll read almost anything fantasy or epic fantasy, dark fantasy, lol you get the point. Here is the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company

oh and of course the Game of Thrones series (Its way better then the tv show) is another favorite

I also like books by Steve Erikson

If you like fantasy books I can suggest more for ya.
Last edited on
I'm reading Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulu at the moment; it's excellent, one of the best books I've ever read. I strongly recommend the Iliad and the Odyssey by Homer.
If you like fantasy, Wheel of Time series is excellent.
had this convosation with filipri a few days ago, people must want books this time of year...
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/90101/
Last edited on
I have downloaded "The Call of Cthulu" (@chrisname is it only 27pg? wiki said it was a short story but I am not so sure....) am busy downloading "The Black Company" and am trying to find where to download "Wheel Of Time".

NOTE: All of the downloads are perfectly illegal
EDIT: is this "The Black Company" over 1k pg
ftp://moisant3.no-ip.biz/pub/files/books/Glen%20Cook/Glen%20Cook_the%20black%20company(all9books).pdf
Last edited on
Can't click on the link because I'm at work and monitered but ya it is quite a long book. And there are I believe 9 books in the whole series, but I would highly recommend getting the first three in the books of the north since they are the best

The Books of the North Series

1. The Black Company
2. Shadows Linger
3. The White Rose

and then if you like them the other two in the series that are good to are

The Books of the South Series

1. Shadow Games
2. Dreams of Steel

@Script Coder
Yeah, I think that's right; he mostly wrote short stories because he was writing them for a magazine.
Ender's Game is an obligatory one. Very sci-fi (stereotypically so, IMO, but whatever) and nearly everyone that's read it has raved to me about it.

This one's unrelated to your theme, but I still recommend it: Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley. I've read it 3 times and I find something new every time. Somewhat esoteric, but definitely worth the read.
Heh wow got this email from packt publishing (where I bought some programming books) asking me to take a survey. So I took it and it took 4 minutes about and boom they gave me a a code for any book of theirs for free. Best timing was just about to buy a book from them for $50 anyways :)

Sorry to hijack just figured this thread was related to books ;p
Last edited on
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman has some excellent poetry, if you're into that.
All You Zombies (Robert Heinlein). It involves time travel
Read any of Kurt Vonnegut's work - If you like short fiction especially read "Welcome to the Monkey House."

Philip K Dick is another excellent author if you enjoy science fiction.

I highly recommend A Song of Ice and Fire - George RR Martin

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet is great if you enjoy historical fiction.

It's not a novel, but The Canterbury Tales is an oldy but goody I think. (assuming it wasn't stuffed down your throat in high school)
fiction books, that a programmer would enjoy.

I would imagine programmer's have varied tastes in books, but if you're looking for something that may appeal to the binary in you:

Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson
Threat Vector, by Tom Clancy (of Red October fame.)

I see several people recommending Glen Cook novels. I never cared much for his sci-fi offerings (although I'm a fan of the Garret Files), but I recently read Darkwar and that was well worth the read.

If you like fantasy that doesn't fit the normal "heroic" model, pick up Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. George R. R. Martin is good for that too. He doesn't need too much press though, what with the Game of Thrones series on television.

closed account (ETAkoG1T)
I agree that enders game is a great book, I am not sure if I want to continue reading the serie, because reviews say that it doesn't come close to the original. Don't want to ruin the universe with a bad book.

I like book threads :) Haven't really found THE fantasy book for me. I started reading LoTR but it got a bit boring. Maybe fantasy just isn't for me :P
Last edited on
Thank everyone, for their suggestions.
I am staring to read "The Call of Cthulu", quite interesting.

What is this world cumming to
I was surfing Amazon and saw an ad for this:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cum+cookbook
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Script Coder,

Interesting... from H. P. Lovecraft to the cooking with a result of love craft.
Last edited on
Pages: 12