Im learning java, do they have a forum as simple and easy going as this one

Pages: 1234... 8
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I have to agree with the lounge suggestion +1
closed account (ETAkoG1T)
This is a great c++ forum and it should stay c++. Referencing to other languages and discussing them is fine, but if java threads take over the lounge there is nowere to go for some funny relaxed threads. I think this site should NOT become anything else than a c++ programming site. One thing that I like about this site is that it is strictly for c++. Every thread I go to uses c++ and unless it is just too complicated I can read the codes. If we began using lounge as java there is nowere to post threads about philosofical questions from the view of programmers. Splitting the forum would cut the comunity in half, unlesss everyone knows both java and c++ there would be people that didn't feel very at home. New c++ could very easily be comfused that the name of the forum category's name is lounge but people post java code. Don't change what makes the website different from all the others! :)
Thank you for reading ;)

-Fil
Filiprei wrote:
Splitting the forum would cut the comunity in half, unlesss everyone knows both java and c++ there would be people that didn't feel very at home.

Well only an absolute beginner wouldn't know more than C++. Truth is that a serious programmer knows aspects of several languages. I don't know Java (yet) but it is on my list of languages to learn. Bjarne Stroustrup himself says that a programmer can't call himself professional unless he knows 3 to 7 or 8 languages.

The lounge says "Discussions about this website, or other topics not related to C++ programming" which means asking Java questions in the lounge is perfectly acceptable. Just don't ask them in the other forums. Even if the lounge became over run in java questions it doesn't mean you can't still have philosophical discussions along side them as you would have to start a new thread for that anyways.
BHXSpecter wrote:
The lounge says "Discussions about this website, or other topics not related to C++ programming" which means asking Java questions in the lounge is perfectly acceptable.

The Forum Sticky wrote:
In this forum, users can to talk about topics other than programming.

*cough*

Topics concerning Java programming should be made in forums concerning the same. If you can't find a forum that you like, start your own. Don't hijack this one.
Lounge Description wrote:
Discussions about this website, or other topics not related to C++ programming

Ok?

It doesn't matter that much...people talk about C++ stuff here anyway.
Last edited on
I will have to agree with BHXSpecter. Most programmers know multiple languages and in all reality, algorithms and programming concepts are the same. Probably not a bad idea to know some Assembly as well or at least be a bit familiar with it. I started with “in-house” scripting languages, then learned C# and now learning C++. I will probably do Python or Lua next. For myself, I don’t see a point of doing Java since C# is very similar. And I honestly won’t consider myself a descent programmer until I learn all of that.

Now I’ve done a Mergesort in both C# and C++ and they didn’t look very different. The book I was learning Algorithms from was showing all the examples in C or Java, and at the time I was doing everything in C#, so I had to learn to just translate the examples based on the math notation they were giving.

I don’t believe this website should have different forums for each languages. But I would encourage people to post question of various languages in the lounge if they need to. Even if, it is, a Java problem; a good programmer should be able to help even if they never really used that language.
Lounge Description wrote:

You know, I don't think I've used the Forum link more than once or twice before. Normally I just type 'c' in the address bar and arrow down to the address I want.

Oria wrote:
But I would encourage people to post question of various languages in the lounge if they need to.

I wouldn't. I would encourage people to ask language agnostic questions and to support other language specific forums by frequenting them for appropriate questions. They won't improve if they aren't used.
Forum Sticky wrote:
In this forum, users can to talk about topics other than programming.

@cire

So, wait....are you arguing for my point or against it because your post does both. That quote shows it doesn't have to be programming related but it can be. At no point does that sticky say programming in C++ or any other language was strictly forbidden.

Also, you seem to walk the line. You don't want java or other language questions in the lounge. Yet you answered where to look for getting started in assembly. You appear to be fine with answering where to start, which will lead to them asking language questions here more than likely because of you answering here. You can't have it both ways, you are either for or against it and if you are against another language having questions asked here, then you would be against people asking about starting another language other than C++ here.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
So, wait....are you arguing for my point or against it because your post does both

Lucy says you're a blockhead, Charlie Brown.

You appear to be fine with answering where to start, which will lead to them asking language questions here more than likely because of you answering here.

Clearly telling someone they need to learn to google prior to learning assembly language is just begging for assembly questions here.

You can't have it both ways, you are either for or against it and if you are against another language having questions asked here, then you would be against people asking about starting another language other than C++ here.

I'm against a few things that occur here on a regular basis. There haven't been many threads posted soliciting opinions on those, and they aren't sufficiently heinous to warrant bringing it up otherwise.

Your logic, as always, is unassailable.
cire wrote:
Clearly telling someone they need to learn to google prior to learning assembly language is just begging for assembly questions here.

No, instead you just told him to google so that now it will build more questions that he will come back and ask here. People ask questions where they are comfortable and where they think they can get help at.

cire wrote:
Lucy says you're a blockhead, Charlie Brown.
Yes, but I'm not the one that posted a quote that supported one point while arguing against it. I could build a skyscraper that has a sign saying "Everyone in this building can go to the roof and commit suicide by leaping off." That doesn't mean I expect every person in the skyscraper to actually do it. Therefore, you posting that shows that the lounge forum is for things other than C++, upon which news, politics, and other languages fit the bill as they can talk about things other than programming, but are still able to talk about it there.

cire wrote:
Your logic, as always, is unassailable.

Got to love sarcasm.
Yes, but I'm not the one that posted a quote that supported one point while arguing against it.

I see the message didn't come across. You're literal interpretation of the quote (which I'll admit lacks a certain level of clarity,) I'm afraid, is not any more authoritative than mine. It's an imprecise English statement, not a premise crafted as a logical argument or a statement drafted for a legal document. Certainly it would seem that the lounge, in spirit at least, was meant to be a place to get away from the programming questions. If it weren't, perhaps a name like "General" would've been more indicative. Of course, that's my interpretation. Yours seems to be different.

[... talking about my recommendation to google, when responding to a post in the lounge about learning assembly... ]
Therefore, you posting that shows that the lounge forum is for things other than C++, upon which news, politics, and other languages fit the bill as they can talk about things other than programming, but are still able to talk about it there.

My posting shows that I responded to another post. Your seeming interpretation that it somehow supports asking questions here about other languages is utter bullshit. If I were to say that your inevitable trollish response to every troll that manages to find this board shows that trolling is acceptable here, we'd be on the same (logical) page.
cire wrote:
My posting shows that I responded to another post. Your seeming interpretation that it somehow supports asking questions here about other languages is utter bullshit.

I have my interpretation due to you saying the lounge isn't the place for programming questions then replying to a programming question in the lounge. One would think that if a person doesn't want programming questions in the lounge they wouldn't bother replying to them.

cire wrote:
If I were to say that your inevitable trollish response to every troll that manages to find this board shows that trolling is acceptable here, we'd be on the same (logical) page.

Well let us think on this....If trolls are banned from here (as most have been), and I'm trolling the trolls. Then I should have been banned too. So logically, either I'm not trolling, admin doesn't consider my trolling to be trolling, or trolling is acceptable here to a degree.

Though, telling someone to learn to use Google when they ask about learning assembly could be considered a trollish reply too.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Well let us think on this....If trolls are banned from here (as most have been), and I'm trolling the trolls. Then I should have been banned too. So logically, either I'm not trolling, admin doesn't consider my trolling to be trolling, or trolling is acceptable here to a degree.

Or, we may consider that responding to a troll doesn't necessarily show that trolling is acceptable on the site. Just as responding to a programming post in the lounge doesn't necessarily show that programming questions are topical in the lounge, or that I think they're topical in the lounge, or that you saying it is so makes it so.

I think I'm done here.

If admin happens to be reading this, I think implementing a kill filter would be a grand idea.
Guess I'm an exception to the rule then. You said I trolled trolls, which is trolling flat out, but I've not been banned while the trolls that I trolled were. This is by your claim, not mine. So either your claim is wrong, or trolling to an extent is accepted, otherwise I would have been banned by now.

cire wrote:
I think I'm done here.

For a guy that argues with such conviction, I would expect to know when he is done and not just 'think' he is.
Has a discussion about whether discussing Java in the lounge is OK really elevated into a hot argument between you guys?
This is the Internet, not Athens, we will have a heated debate about anything.

I posit that triangles are objectively better than rectangles. Prove me wrong.
In terms of strength, I think you're right.
In architecture, they are.
I posit that triangles are objectively better than rectangles. Prove me wrong.

Circles and spheres are better than anything!
I agree, circles are the best shape.

Well, I think we've disproved my initial hypothesis ("we will have a heated debate about anything").
Pages: 1234... 8