buckysFemininFunction

Pages: 12
Can anybody guess where this is from? lol.

void buckysFemininFunction() {
    cout << "oooooo I am text ont he screen!" << endl;
}
Last edited on
HEY! Bucky taught me everything I know! you better not be slurring his good name >:(

(thanks Bucky, im really clever now)
And the OP's post was reported, why?
@devonrevenge how did that offend you? (asking as an honest question)
I didnt report it :/
i actually thought it was funny, guess humor doesn't really work here, but bucky taught millions of this wave of noobs, we must respect our teachers :P
Last edited on
closed account (zb0S216C)
Bucky's tutorials are less than sub-standard. I especially dislike how he never uses the correct terminology.

Some information has been condensed a bit too much. For eaxmple, "this" is referred to as a "special pointer" which is no different than any other pointer, he doesn't even mention references and he states that constant member-functions simply cannot modify an instance's state but fails to mention "mutable" all together.

Furthermore, the way he names storage is fine in tutorials, but fails to emphasise the importance of appropriately naming storage.

Wazzak
Who the hell is Bucky?
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Someone who posted up Youtube tutorials on C++. They're really bad.
Its the only way to get into programming if your not autistic, or born with a microchip up your bum, not bucky i mean, human language being used to teach, it works well and fast, most tutorials presume you know things you may or may not know yet, a lot of people want to help by posting a video tutorial but sometimes there self important snarkiness blinds them.

without all the terminology being used straight away its easier to get into, people like to over complicate things, and so hes a good teacher, you move on to the proper terminology once you got the feel for what it means
This was meant as more of a tribute to Bucky than an insult. I think Bucky's C++ video tutorials are great for beginners and people that are too lazy to read. I started with Thinking in C++, but because the topics are too randomly spread about and the terminology and language he uses is more difficult, I added Cplusplus tutorials (right here) and Bucky as supplments to guide me in my reading of Thinking in C++! Working good so far.

Sorry for the confusion!
Last edited on
XD was only playing i thought it was funny, I will raise my glass to Bucky every time I recieve a paycheck when i get a good coding job after I get a good grade at computer Sci if i get into uni this year :D

EDIT: you got to be careful around some of these coders, lots of them will break a good joke down into something to have a very serious debate quickly
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I think Bucky's C++ video tutorials are great for beginners and people that are too lazy to read

In all honesty if they are to lazy to read they have almost no chance of being a programmer. I'm not a huge fan of bucky's simply because he is kind of encouraging sub par programming which we don't need more of.
Last edited on
Your gonna start off sub par anyway though arn't you?

and whats wrong with hobby programmers being sub par, some of the most unconventional people turn out to have totally the right kind of mind for taking something somewhere new.
Last edited on
devonrevenge wrote:
"without all the terminology being used straight away its easier to get into"

If one learns the correct terminology in the first place they wouldn't have to learn the terms in the future. Besides, one might never get around to learning the proper terminology. In any case, the terms aren't difficult to understand at all.

rcast wrote:
"This was meant as more of a tribute to Bucky than an insult."

It's a strange way of showing appreciation for his work. I would've expected something a whole lot different.

rcast wrote:
"I think Bucky's C++ video tutorials are great for beginners and people that are too lazy to read."

As Zereo said, programming is all about reading your own code (as well as others') and reading any documentation that comes with software/source code.

devonrevenge wrote:
"I will raise my glass to Bucky every time I recieve a paycheck when i get a good coding job after I get a good grade at computer Sci"

...or throw your glass when you realise just how much information Bucky omitted from his tutorials. Bucky's tutorials alone are simply not enough to net one's self a job.

devonrevenge wrote:
"Your gonna start off sub par anyway though arn't you?"

Yes, but Bucky's tutorials help people retain the "sub-standard" status, not remove it. His teaching style may be OK for a 10 year old, but for more serious programmers, Bucky's tutorials are too low of a grade to learn from.

devonrevenge wrote:
"and whats wrong with hobby programmers being sub par"

You're generalising again and implying that all hobbyist programmers are sub-standard? This is simply not the case. Some hobbyist programmers are probably better programmers than some working programmers, but choose not to follow a programming career path.

Wazzak
Last edited on
Framework - I hear you, but Bucky just got some great advertising for free regardless of whether that publicity was negative or positive, it still gets the people talking. That sounds like a tribute to me ;)

Despite the slander and praise from both sides, this thread was still just meant as a "haha I remember that one function video, by Bucky" type thread.
Last edited on
and whats wrong with hobby programmers being sub par"

You're generalising again and implying that all hobbyist programmers are sub-standard? This is simply not the case. Some hobbyist programmers are probably better programmers than some working programmers, but choose not to follow a programming career path.

No im not im saying whats wrong with a hobby programmer being sub par, dude your trying to hard, you had better have a chip on your shoulder because thats some pretty poor picking apart right there :P

If one learns the correct terminology in the first place they wouldn't have to learn the terms in the future.

how can you know what the terminology means if you didn't know what programming was in the first place?

Its not easy to teach, put yourself in the shoes of someone who has only learnt how to download something and visit a site, use your programming logic and knowledge of human beings and list exactly what you have to teach first and then whats next, I havn't met one snark who could patiently or happily teach a beginner anything.

closed account (S6k9GNh0)
The problem is that they present code that seems valid and lowers the standard of coding in general. People tend to get the idea that just because something works, its valid.
devonrevenge wrote:
"...you had better have a chip on your shoulder..."

Threatening isn't going to get you anywhere. Besides, I stand by what I said.

devonrevenge wrote:
"how can you know what the terminology means if you didn't know what programming was in the first place?"

Every term has a definition; whether or not the instructor provides that definition is the instructor's problem. For example, the medical term "Dehydroepiandrosterone" is complex (I can't even pronounce it), but yet, if the instructor tells his/her students what it means, they're a little bit knowledgeable.

devonrevenge wrote:
"Its not easy to teach"

So you've taught a subject? I doubt it.

devonrevenge wrote:
"use your programming logic and knowledge of human beings and list exactly what you have to teach first and then whats next"

If someone is a proficient programmer then they're able to condense information while retaining validity and structure of the information they're presenting. One approach is to introduce a concept, such as arrays, then build on top of that; gradually introducing key pieces of information, such as its layout in memory, to the student. Bucky's tutorials on the other hand introduce most (but not all) concepts of C++, but fails to provide enough information to the student so that they can use them effectively.

Maybe Bucky should spend more time focusing on the quality of his tutorials rather than rushing the tutorials for the money. For example, I read a book on C++ which had a few pages dedicated to working with files. Before those few pages, it stated that working with files was a whole book in itself. However, Bucky pulled of the impossible and created ~20 minutes worth of video about files of which was low-grade information.

Wazzak
Last edited on
"Its not easy to teach"

So you've taught a subject? I doubt it.

This is what i mean i just said its not easy to teach and you've gone said something like that, now when i said you had better have a chip on your shoulder I meant there had better be a good reason your doing a poor job of trying to make me look stupid and not a lame arse one.
devonrevenge wrote:
"i just said its not easy to teach"

...implies that you know teaching is difficult from first-hand experience. I assume you're not a teacher.

devonrevenge wrote:
"I meant there had better be a good reason your doing a poor job of trying to make me look stupid and not a lame arse one."

I don't need to make you look stupid; that's already been done.

Wazzak
No i don't, you look snarky as though :*

And if it works for the hobby programmer for whatever said programmer is doing thats the way he does his hobby, Its not gonna make expert programmers go all stupid and its not gonna lower any standards for any experts who know what they're doing.
Last edited on
Pages: 12