do you have any weird traditions?

Pages: 12
When you are coding do you do something special to help code better....listening to techno helps me a little:P
chupa chups
I watch random Let's Plays of Dwarf Fortress and other console-based games before I start. Idk why, but it helps, sort of like motivation to do better.
I watch random Let's Plays of Dwarf Fortress and other console-based games before I start. Idk why, but it helps, sort of like motivation to do better.

Just FYI, DF is not a console based game.
Sure looks like it is to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94qFsN247G8
It is a console-based game (console on the computer) and not a console-based game (it has nothing to do with a video game console).
Although it doesn't actually use the console, it uses openGL to draw everything.
I think Toady justified the old terminal look with "It gives more freedom in terms of imagination", or something along those lines.
I don't have any weird traditions. There are days when I'm just a better programmer than other days. No real rhyme to it.

If I get particularly stuck on something, I'll just take a little break. Usually to this site to have a go at solving someone else's problem.

Oh, and I try not to get distracted by all of the nice games my friends are playing on Steam. :-)
Oh, and I try not to get distracted by all of the nice games my friends are playing on Steam

This is why I have to close Steam when I feel like being productive :P
They really don't help with their ludicrous sales.
iHutch105 wrote:
ludicrous sales

You can say that again, I remember getting CSS for £7, TF2 for £3 (back when you had to buy it) and, a few months ago, Arkham City for £5.
They're fantastic. If their console does launch and follows a similar sales pitch then it could be goodbye to the big two. At least as far as I'm concerned.

My ludicrous sales purchases include the entire GTA collection (literally from 1 - 4 and everything in between) for £5. Also picked up Borderlands and Civilization V stupidly cheap.

Annoyingly I bought CS:GO a couple of weeks ago for £12 only for it to drop to £6 in the weekend sale just gone. D'oh!
Even if their console doesn't take off, they ported the client and a few games to Linux, and if other developers follow suit I'll one day be able to forgo Windows entirely. I bet their console will run Linux anyway. And yeah, if the console is released I'll never buy another one... I'm done with Halo now and those are more or less the only 360 exclusives I have.
I've made the switch to linux and no longer have a windows partition. The final nail in the coffin was when I discovered that I could still play Diablo III using Wine.
I've not had good experiences with Wine so I rarely use it.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
The final nail in the coffin was when I discovered that I could still play Diablo III using Wine.

Until you get banned for "cheating".
I've made the switch to linux and no longer have a windows partition. The final nail in the coffin was when I discovered that I could still play Diablo III using Wine.

I had a similar experience with Ubuntu, but it had the opposite effect on me.

I was interested in this emulator called bsnes. It had a linux port, so I wanted to give it ago. Though after 4 hours of attempting to compile the source and running into a chain of seemingly endless problems, I decided to give up and just download the windows binary and run it in Wine.

Wine worked great. But what's the point of running an emulator in an emulator? I mean if you're going to use windows apps for everything... why not just run windows?

I'm never going back to *nix for personal use again.
I've had the opposite experience to that, I've never been able to get Wine to work well. Programs always seem to be very buggy and unstable for me. I've also never had that much trouble compiling a program from source (even the Linux kernel, which is xbox huge).
The one time I compiled Linux from source it was actually pretty painless. I'm sure "back in the day" it wasn't so nice, but now it's not hard at all. Just takes a loooong time
Yeah, that's what I meant, it's just tedious because it's so much code (15+ million LOC).
Pages: 12