• Forum
  • Lounge
  • how should I structure teaching myself m

how should I structure teaching myself maths for computer science?

Im going to UNI! :D
so i need to brush up maths and the school level stuff is okay just i dont know what maths to teach myself and what to progress into, it would be pointless covering vector curves say if I need advanced algebra, i dont know the subject well enough to know whats i needs, I looked online but the best I found was courses teaching maths for comp science and their syllabus's werent that specific, what do you think is best?
closed account (ETAkoG1T)
what is UNI? Is it university? I tried to google but didn't find any results.
Um yes sorry, colloquialism i guess, uni is university, americans go to college so they get confused...actually americans go to university as well, the hell is a uni when its in america?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
They will teach you college lecel math at the university what you need to brush up on is high school levelalegebra aarithmetic and other math around that level.
Um yes sorry, colloquialism i guess, uni is university, americans go to college so they get confused...actually americans go to university as well, the hell is a uni when its in america?

A college only offers bachelor's degrees, universities offer bachelor's, master's, and doctorates.
In the UK when we say college (or "sixth form") we're referring to what you guys call "high school".
Ah thanks zereo, right on track then, I was worried it would look something like my 3rd year physicist friends were doing, oh yeah i got a 3rd year physicist at my disposal if you ever want some crazy maths model XD
In the US, a college is typically part of a university. A college offers degrees in a specific field, while the university offers various colleges. For example, you can graduate from the College of Engineering at Kansas State University.

As far as math goes, just make sure you know your algebra and at least are familiar with the trig functions and identities and you'll be fine. Everything else will be taught to you.
You need strong algebra skills above all else; if you struggle with Algebra II problems you won't be able to do any higher level math. AFAIK trigonometry isn't particularly useful in Computer Science but a CS degree will probably require that you take Calculus and trig is needed for Calculus, so if you don't want to fail that you'll need strong trig skills.

I'd recommend using this textbook:
http://www.amazon.com/College-Algebra-Trigonometry-Margaret-Lial/dp/0321497449/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361225357&sr=1-4&keywords=college+algebra+and+trigonometry+lial+hornsby+schneider+4th+edition

I dislike how it teaches trig, but if you go through the book you'll be set for college math.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.