• Forum
  • Lounge
  • In languages like C/C++, your source cod

In languages like C/C++, your source code doesn't really do anything....

I just realized that when you write C/C++ code or the like, it just keeps the code and data stored in object files for execution, but doesn't do anything.

A linked library will need to access a low-level driver, link objects together and library files, all to finalize one image with all of the code and data requests.

So technically, your C code alone is garbage. You are writing code that needs to be linked with other code to get a full working image with sound and video access, etc.

Kind of a buzz kill, right? Window/Mac/Linux drivers are doing the big work.
Kind of a buzz kill, right?

Not really =P

Window/Mac/Linux drivers are doing the big work.

They're not doing the "big" work, they're just doing a different portion of the work.
Not really. You could write the entire thing yourself, but you don't because that's usually a waste of time.

p.s. The same applies to every language.
This smells a lot like the same troll guy (the OS in 5 years guy)... just under a different name.
So technically, your C code alone is garbage. You are writing code that needs to be linked with other code to get a full working image with sound and video access, etc.
By this reasoning, drivers are also garbage unless there's a program to use them. Both of these cases are true, but the use of the word "garbage" to describe either process is inappropriate.
your source code doesn't really do anything....

you are 100% correct source code simply tells a compiler what executable code to make, that is what does the real work.
This smells a lot like the same troll guy (the OS in 5 years guy)... just under a different name.

A couple different names, I'd say.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
By this logic, anything that input that is provided to a server, in the history of the universe, has been completely useless. Python scripts? Useless. Init scripts? Garbage. Assembly? Forget about it. It was the assembler that did the real work.

Real programmers code directly in machine code, create the executable headers themselves, and manually copy and pastes the machine code together using machine code as well.
Last edited on
@computerquip now you're getting it, don't you see that millions of programmers the world over have been wasting decades of man hours?
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
I just realized... its the CPU doing the real work, not the machine code you made. I've been naive.
So if we want to be real programmers, we have to create our own CPU which can be hot-swapped onto a motherboard to run a hard-coded program?
And its taken us so long to realise this now. Wow I have just wasted 6 years of my life.
Wait, it isn't the CPU that made the hard work! It's our world's physics who made! Let me rewrite them!
you think jackson marie was also spoonlicker
Yes.
what was the point in that? does it have any c++ powers?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.