• Forum
  • Lounge
  • If one were to get a programming job wit

If one were to get a programming job without a degree....

-What do you think that person would need to know inside and out?
-What do you think that person would need to know how to do to show that they are just as good as someone with a degree?
-We're talking about someone who knows about programming, but has 0 job experience.
-Is it likely that a company that needs programmers would hire someone who doesnt have a degree?
-How do you think someone who knows c++ but doesnt have a degree would go about getting hired or getting some job experiance?
Im only 16 but im curious.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Im only 16 but im curious.

Then the best advice for you is this. Go to college and get a degree. The world we live in now days is one where you almost need a degree to have a chance to get any job that doesn't pay minimum wage.

If for some reason you can't go to college for funding reasons or some other reason here is some options.

1) Have a very very good portfolio with multiple good complete programs in it. This is how you will prove you can do what you say you can, where as someone with a degree is already assumed they can do what they say they can. Even with this though you are at a disadvantage because most employers won't even give you the chance to show them your portfolio without a degree.

2) Start off in a low level position in the company like the mail clerk or something. After you get to know people within the company and have worked there for a few months put in a request to your boss or someone else in the company to request a transfer to the IT department. Once you get there do your work some more then request to be promoted to a programmer.

3) Get lucky and someone gives you a shot. Never bet on luck though.

4) Develop connections with other programmers in a company that can attest to your skill.

5) Start your own company.
4) Develop connections with other programmers in a company that can attest to your skill.

This really should have been number 1.

This is true in pretty much any job field: Who you know means more than anything else. It even means more than your qualifications/abilities.

Entirely qualified people get blown off and bonehead people get hired in all the time because of their connections. The bottom line is that if you're friends with the person who decides who gets the job... then you get the job. As long as you're remotely qualified... It's [usually] that simple.

In fact, that's how I landed my last 4 jobs. I knew someone else who worked there, and they put in a good word for me. Once I had my foot in the door I was able to show off my abilities and make a good impression and get them to like me... which builds up more contacts for future possibilities.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Wasn't meaning for them to be in order of importance. But you are right this means probably more then any other thing listed. Connections are very power things.
Last edited on
Whats the best way to make programming connections?
Whats the best way to make programming connections?

Go to college and get a degree. You know all those people going to college with you? In your classes? Studying the same things you're studying? They're programming connections. Manage to get an internship while you're there? Those are programming connections. Networking is the unsung benefit of a college education.

Plus.. then you have the degree. =P
cire wrote:
Go to college and get a degree. You know all those people going to college with you? In your classes? Studying the same things you're studying? They're programming connections. Manage to get an internship while you're there? Those are programming connections. Networking is the unsung benefit of a college education.

Or you could just go to programming sites like here, gamasutra, allegro.cc, gamedev.net, flipcode.com, sfml, sdl, etc and find people with interests like yours. I had my contacts in the industry before I went to college. Yes I have a larger network now because of college, but I already had connections here, the sites mentioned above, and cprogramming.com before I ever messed with college. I also talked regularly to Ed Boon and Jason Rubin before I ever thought of college. College is the unsung benefit to debt, networking is the benefit of being open on programming sites and not ignoring those who could be potential allies in programming.

cire wrote:
Plus.. then you have the degree. =P

Not necessarily. My college let me finish my degree requirements even though my financial aid stopped in my last semester, but the college has a hold on my degree so I won't get the physical degree until I pay off the left over tuition owed. A lot of colleges will do this lately (only if you are in the last semester). So now the states shows a hold a BS in Game and Simulation Programming as of Feb 2011, but I don't have the actual degree until I pay about $7k to the college.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.