MS in Computer Science, Statement of Purpose

Pages: 123
Never said they were links supporting my claims, just links from Google.
I don't really see how any of those links support any of these claims.
BHXSpecter wrote:

Almost every newspaper I read and every news outlet had a segment every month it seemed about colleges falling short to properly prepare students for their career field of choice.

I read locally stated that out of the top 25 colleges/universities over half fell short in preparing students. K-12 is to educate you, college/universities are supposed to educate you and give you the skill sets needed to make it in your degree field of choice, but it has been revealed that the technology field has a huge problem with this due mainly to the fact that technology is still rapidly advancing. Advancing so fast in fact that most colleges can't keep up.

I'm open minded enough to inteligently examine any pertinent sources you can provide, but they need to be pertinent.
Just saw this.
BHXSpecter wrote:
Never said they were links supporting my claims, just links from Google.

What was the point? As Zereo mentioned there are many factors that contribute to low graduation rates in state colleges/universities, you can't fully blame the schools.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
So I read through two of the articles you have posted (Don't have time to read most of them right now), but my feelings on this come back to what I originally posted.

It kind of comes back to the theory of how now days we always look for someone else to blame instead of ourselves. Its just natural to say "Well if this professor actually taught me something useful that I would use in a job maybe someone would hire me", or "I got a degree, but the college never gave me any work experience or any skills that will help my resume".

Instead of this blaming type of attitude many seem to have today, why don't we take our futures and our mistakes into our own hands? I mean we go to college to learn basic generalized skills for a certain profession. Because each profession can have a huge number of sub-professions it would be almost impossible to be able to prepare and specialize each student for each sub-profession they want to join. So I believe this is where the student must take it into their own hands.

They can do this a number of ways. One being a internship to a company which your college education opened up the doors to. This internship is where you will take them generalized skills you learned in college and forge it into a more specialized skill that relates more to what you are looking to do in your career.

Another option would be to pursue other training/education. This can come in the form of going to get certified in a specialized field, getting your masters degree, or in programming you could join a open-source project which will gain you some very good knowledge of how design actually works and something to put on your resume.

There are many other ways that the student can turn his college education into a more specialized skill that would be more attractive to a employer, but the main point is it is the students responsibility to do that not the colleges.

Everything you want in life is up to you to achieve, it won't be given to you, handed to you, or fall into your lap. It requires YOU to take the necessary steps to get the job you want. So what if the college didn't teach you specialized skills for your specific job, that is not their responsibility like I stated above. It is up to you to get them specialized skills.

Anyways that is my opinion at least ;p
Last edited on
Wait, so several users think colleges fail to teach the skills needed to CS students and engineering students as evident by so many grads not being able to program worth a lick. Yet colleges aren't failing students. You can't have it both ways.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123