can name all 150

Pages: 1234
closed account (3qX21hU5)
So I read through most of the first pages of the google results and I can not find one where it says that they were "Employed by Microsoft" only that they have passed the MCTS exam, and other microsoft exams. Yes the articles say "Youngest Microsoft employee" but in truth they are just talking about either a ad campaign or a young kid passing the MCTS or engineering exam.

I could be wrong though but have not found any evidence that microsoft employs them. The laws are different in other countries but I know that in the US you can't be employed if you are under age 14 and if they are under 16 they have to have a limited number of hours.

As a general rule, the FLSA sets 14 years of age as the minimum age for employment, and limits the number of hours worked by minors under the age of 16.

Last edited on
Not sure either, first result says a boy, second says a girl. But just wanted to point out this is a old discussed story.
True true give them huge credit for passing the MCTS at age 9. One of them even wrote a 300+ page book on windows 7(I think) it looks like. Gezz I'm kind of getting jealous of these kids lol.
Last edited on
Personally, I'm not jealous. I'm proud of my lifestyle, when I was 9 I was playing Pokémon, and I will never regret that.
it doesn't count unless you can recite it via poke-rap
I am depressed that a nine year old can do calculus, and uses his math skills to write giant programs...
I agree with EssGeEich, I had a childhood when I was nine. I played Pokemon and did all kinds of other kid things and enjoyed myself. I wouldn't want to trade that for some exam put out by Microsoft.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
actually you can be employed in the us under the age of fourteen
Last edited on
ModShop wrote:
I agree with EssGeEich, I had a childhood when I was nine. I played Pokemon and did all kinds of other kid things and enjoyed myself. I wouldn't want to trade that for some exam put out by Microsoft.

^ That :D
actually you can be employed in the us under the age of sixteen

When did I say you couldn't?
fixed
The only circumstance I believe where you can work under the age of 14 is working for parent (Usually they still can't work if under the age of 14 in most states) and working illegally. But if you want to be employed by a company that your parents don't own you have to be over 14 and if you are 14-16 you can only work for a certain amount of time (IE you can't be employed full time)

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor/agerequirements.htm

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) sets wage, hours worked, and safety requirements for minors (individuals under age 18) working in jobs covered by the statute. The rules vary depending upon the particular age of the minor and the particular job involved. As a general rule, the FLSA sets 14 years of age as the minimum age for employment, and limits the number of hours worked by minors under the age of 16.

The Fair Labor Standards Act's (FLSA) minimum age requirements do not apply to minors employed by their parents, or by a person acting as their guardian. An exception to this occurs in mining, manufacturing and occupations where the minimum age requirement of 18 years old applies.
State laws often follow the same pattern as the Fair Labor Standards Act with regard to minors working for their parents. Consult your state department of labor for specific guidance.
it says general rule and varies from state to state
The rules vary depending upon the particular age of the minor and the particular job involved. As a general rule, the FLSA sets 14 years of age as the minimum age for employment, and limits the number of hours worked by minors under the age of 16.

Not sure where you see varies from state to state.

But you are right here are jobs you can get under 14

Delivering peoples newpapers

Working in a company SOLELY owned by your parents

Working on a farm
first, i read that on the dol site, secondly your forgetting acting. third general means there is room for exceptions
Yes I know there is exceptions but the whole debate is on whether a 9 year old could work for mircosoft which is not acting and im pretty sure their dad isn't bill gates.
but see since there are exceptions, why cant it be possible they found a loop hole?
Why would a multi billion dollar company tey and find a loop hole to employee a 9 year old which would open them up to massive fines for underage labor from the goverment and maybe civil lawsuits.

Also 9 year olds dobt make good employees and would cause friction between other employees. At that age they usually dont have the maturity for a work environment. At 9 years old you would be in the 2nd grade I think. They might be really smart like that 9 year old but they would never be hired as a employee by microsoft because of legal, workplace, civil, and many other reasons.
Lol, this just strayed from main topic
Pages: 1234