Who plays Minecraft?

Pages: 123... 7
I love this game. Who else does? If you don't like this, please don't just write "I hate this and I hate you..." Just say something "nice" and an explanation
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I love it, but I played so much of it during alpha/beta stage and ended up getting burnt out/bored of it. I don't play much anymore.
I love it, but I played so much of it during alpha/beta stage and ended up getting burnt out/bored of it. I don't play much anymore.

This, however as of about a month ago I've been playing again. Me and my roommate have a map going with hidden passages interconnecting several large structures, none of which go together or have much aesthetic value. Apparently it's a map we started when we were rooming together our first year of college.
The only other game I've been so addicted to other than minecraft is Terraria, which is like Minecraft minus a dimension.

I've never played survival mode on minecraft; much prefer the creative.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
minecraft is what made me consider java programming
I used to but got bored sick of it. Would've lasted longer if I had friends to play with but public servers are a complete joke.

Pretty much the same for me (accept I haven't STARTED learning java yet).
I've been a fan of Minecraft for a year now (TODAY'S MY 1 YEAR MINECRAFT ANNIVERSARY!!! Which means I have been playing Minecraft for a total of exactly 1 year today!!!)
MEEE i love minecraft, i have it on the xbox but everytime they update it i have to start again, i love that theres no goal that makes it very zen, its a matter of time till someone writes "The Tao of Minecraft"

minecraft is what made me look into java programming (what 3d library they use??)
Last edited on
Why would minecraft inspire you to learn java? It should be the opposite.

@devonrevenge
It uses OpenGL
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I've always been a fan of Sandbox games and especially Sandbox MMO's but for some reason I never got into Minecraft. I just never found that there was enough to do to keep my attention.

One of the best of all time Sandbox MMO's for me was Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) I just loved to run around surveying for minerals all over different planets and placing my harvester's on them, then crafting me some elite weapons and armor. But after spending MONTH's on getting a Jedi character just to have SOE decide they would remake the game and make everyone be able to be a Jedi I just couldn't take it and quit.

Ohh the good old days when games had great communities.
Last edited on
@geran: you know that opengl isnt a language right? its a graphics api. you have to have a "mother language" (idk what the proper term is). you can't just say hey im going to learn opengl and write software with it.
DTSCode wrote:
you can't just say hey im going to learn opengl and write software with it

You can can actually say exactly this.
I don't think he said openGL is a language he was just answering devon's question on what 3D graphics library Minecraft uses.
how can you write in a grahpics api without something like c/c++/java/obj-c/(i think python). i mean you can say that if your going to use it in one of those languages but im pretty sure you cant just learn that and expect anything o happen
@zereo did you like frontier elite2? there was a way of playing it technicaly with maths to fly just like astronaughts did, good ol david braben, hes looking to remake that game, lots of landing and mining and exxploring on that.
Ya I actually did like that game. But ya I'm pretty excited about the new one and actually pitched in on the kickstarter campaign http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous cant wait for it to come out.

SaltedMovie released a movie "Discovering 1.5" I guess the new 1.5 update is coming out tommorow!
I want to see a realistic mainstream non arcade minecraft, with everything like gas leaks underground fires land slides, avalaunches, trees bushes, the need for supports, realistic physics like huge whirlpools when a chasm opens up to a lake all this, mine craft with a hugemungous budget will be amazing
Last edited on
DTSCode wrote:
how can you write in a grahpics api without something like c/c++/java/obj-c/(i think python). i mean you can say that if your going to use it in one of those languages but im pretty sure you cant just learn that and expect anything o happen

No one is saying they are going to program in OpenGL. Geran responded to the question of which 3d graphics library they use, and Resident Biscuit is correct, saying "I'm going to learn OpenGL and write software with it." makes perfect sense and doesn't imply that the speaker thinks they are going to write a program in a language called OpenGL.
DTSCode wrote:
Minecraft is what made me realize that Java is the language of missed opportunity for making games. Don't make games in Java; designing prototypes is fine, but the final product should not be in Java.

I keep up with Minecraft stuff and keep the wiki up to date, but I don't really play it anymore because I ran out of nostalgia juice.
Pages: 123... 7