Why pay for Macs/Apple products? They're OVERpriced!!!!!

Pages: 12345... 7
I was the same way, I was that kid who was always racing to grow up. Now that my days as a youth are starting to come to a complete and total end, I regret that mentality. But that's to be expected. Lol, I've been watching a marathon of Ben 10 on cartoon network this morning. Saturday morning cartoons while work on my budget for the next 2 weeks.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Oria wrote:
That's not true. Read consumer reports and do some research. The top of the list when it comes to best purchase for cars when it comes to reliability are Toyota.


Never said they were the most reliable, if you want the most reliable you probably shouldn't be looking at super-cars to begin with. In terms of reliability a week Vs. anything would seem better, that being said the nature of cars and going fast I'll reference someone here: At top speed the $25k tires only last 15 minutes but the gas tank will only let you go for 10.
Last edited on
I just know I wouldn't dish out 1000 dollars or more on some crappy hardware. (Compared to cheaper Computers for less)
@Fredbill30
Where are you getting your information? Mac's do not have crappy hardware which is evident in the amount of quality control and very high consumer approval. You should do some research before saying things that are flat out wrong.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
my family are huge apple fans. just saying, my dad has had to fix his mac mini multiple times, the imac's disc tray(proper term?) is broken and its been used all of twenty times, each persons iphone/touch's screen has been shattered at least once, and apple tv crashes five times a day. meanwhile in linux land the only problem with my android is my music player and my laptop's battery cant hold a charge, but thats because its an old battery
I meant hardware specs, sorry for the misleading in my post.
DTSCode wrote:
he imac's disc tray(proper term?) is broken and its been used all of twenty times
That's why you have a warranty. There are always bad apples in the bunch.

DTSCode wrote:
each persons iphone/touch's screen has been shattered at least once
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how this is relevant at all. I ran over my dell netbook with my car.

DTSCode wrote:
apple tv crashes five times a day
I've never experienced that problem, and I use my Apple TV heavily.

DTSCode wrote:
player and my laptop's battery cant hold a charge, but thats because its an old battery
Wait. Here your faulty battery is due to age and no blame is cast towards a manufacturer. You just got done giving Apple shit for you having shattered your iPhone screen. Forgive me, but I fail to follow your logic.
Last edited on
Thumper wrote:
There are always bad apples in the bunch.

This made me laugh.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
no i dont like apple for reasons not discussed here. i have no apple products. i meant to add my htc desire has never shattered and i have dropped it plenty. all of the apple products i discussed in my post werent of old age and they are all new products. meanwhile, my laptop is fine except for the battery
Me and my partner bought Samsung Galaxy S IIIs on the same day. I have had no problems to speak of with mine. Hers on the other hand has had the main board replaced due to 'sudden death' twice.

Should I condemn Samsung?

I had an Acer (wanted a cheap laptop) but will never get another one. The quality of the hardware was what I expected for the price but their customer service was crap to say the least.

At the moment I will not buy a car from Ford this is due to how a salesman treated me when he thought there where potential customers looking at a more expensive car.

I would also not buy a Mercedes partly because I think they are ugly and partly because of my perception/experience of the type of people that drive then. While I know that this is not true of all Mercedes drivers, I don't want to be seen as that type of person.

So there are many reasons to take a dislike to a company/brand but to be honest I don't think the price of the products should be one of them.
cire wrote:
This made me laugh.
Hah! I was worried no one would catch the pun.

Grey Wolf wrote:
I don't think the price of the products should be one of them.
I agree with you entirely.
Grey Wolf wrote:
I don't think the price of the products should be one of them.


I agree. I can't stand apple because of their obnoxious advertising campaign and because of their patent trolling... There are other reasons as well, but those both come to mind first.
I think it's reasonable to dislike a company if their products cost far more than what they should. Ultimately it's up to them to decide their prices, and up to you to decide if you're willing to pay, but companies like Apple and Alienware exploit people's ignorance of how much hardware is actually worth by inflating the price of hardware and convincing people they need more powerful computers than they actually do, all so they spend more money. Lots of Apple users have computers with something like 8 GB of RAM and a Core i7 processor that cost them at least £2,000 for a computer that they use to browse the Internet and read e-mails. They couldn't play video games if they wanted to, though, because they have a mobile graphics processor with no dedicated VRAM, in a desktop PC. Meanwhile Alienware customers are paying thousands for computers with three high-end graphics cards in SLI, and all to play Counter-Strike. I have one graphics card, it cost me £160, and I have yet to meet a game I can't play on maximum graphics settings. I haven't played Crysis 2, but I bet I could.
Ultimately it's up to them to decide their prices, and up to you to decide if you're willing to pay
I'd say it is up to the market to decide what a product is worth. Obviously enough people are willing to spend the money that the company is happy with that price point.

but companies like Apple and Alienware exploit people's ignorance of how much hardware is actually worth by inflating the price of hardware
I don't see how anyone is being exploited. I'm no fan of Alienware (they are ugly as sin) but they produce a product line geared toward gamers and put hardware in the systems gamers want. Not everyone is comfortable with home builds.
I don't see how anyone is being exploited.


Do you think if every person who purchased an Apple branded computer knew exactly what everything inside the box was worth, and most found that what they are purchasing is way more than they'd ever use and is costing them more than a collection of completely equivalent hardware, that Apple would still hold the market share they have?
Cheraphy wrote:
Do you think [...] that Apple would still hold the market share they have?

Yes.
chrisname wrote:
... exploit people's ignorance of how much hardware is actually worth by inflating the price of hardware
are you saying I'm ignorant? :0)

chrisname wrote:
£2,000 for a computer...They couldn't play video games if they wanted to, though, because they have a mobile graphics processor with no dedicated VRAM, in a desktop PC
. My £2000 17" MacBook Pro (4 yrs old) has duel video cards. One for low power and one for high performance (with it's own dedicated VRAM)

So who is ignorant of what?
I don't see how anyone is being exploited. I'm no fan of Alienware (they are ugly as sin) but they produce a product line geared toward gamers and put hardware in the systems gamers want. Not everyone is comfortable with home builds.

They're tricked into thinking they need that kind of hardware when they don't. Computer stores advertise "office computers" with gaming graphics cards, as if you need a GTX 260 to run MS Word. It's not just Apple and Alienware, it's very common.

Grey Wolf wrote:
are you saying I'm ignorant?

No, you presumably know it's overpriced but you don't care, and that's perfectly fine.

My £2000 17" MacBook Pro (4 yrs old) has duel video cards. One for low power and one for high performance (with it's own dedicated VRAM)

I may have been exaggerating just a bit, but lots of people with Macs do have bad graphics cards.
I also would have to agree that Apple products are too expensive.

Given that I can find comparative systems for less it's apparent that they are setting the pricing standards high on their products.

I am not against Apple in any way but their prices.

And given that they come with mostly the same warranty as rivaling systems, their higher prices are not justified by me.

And to add some more, if the reason they claim their products cost more is because they are better I think I will need some proof of that by comparing exact specs on cheaper systems with theirs, and see who holds up.

I'd love to see some tests on this in the long run just to see if there's more a difference than price preference.
chrisname wrote:
No, you presumably know it's overpriced but you don't care, and that's perfectly fine.
No, I know it is expensive but I considered it worth it.
Pages: 12345... 7