Why pay for Macs/Apple products? They're OVERpriced!!!!!

Pages: 1... 567
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I was asked at work to spec up a workstation for a test lab. I decided to give them the spec for a Dell Precession, similar to the one I use for software dev, they didn't like the price. I used that board to show that the Dell was a good price for what it is.

I do want to build a beast buy funds are lacking, so I end up doing a fantasy. :0(

Anyway, I have to get up for work in four hours...best get some sleep.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Ah, gotta love a good debate. :D
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
we should get a roster going
Apple products are popular because they were meant for "normal' people (i wanted to write "stupid" but meh). People who dont want to configure every os aspect of their systems, who dont care if cpu is 2ghz or 2.5 ghz.

But c'mon, if someone wants use computer only to send emails, talk on skype and post on facebook (like most of the population) can't blame them.

But for us, IT people who analyze stats ~1000 times, read countless of reviews and user opinions before buying it seems weird :).
Last edited on
Apple products are popular because they were meant for "normal' people (i wanted to write "stupid" but meh). People who dont want to configure every os aspect of their systems, who dont care if cpu is 2ghz or 2.5 ghz.

Why does this keep coming up? I work in the storage industry and we have about a 50/50 split between Mac/PC machines that we're provided with for our work. We're developing software, writing specs, designing, documenting, etc.. I can assure you, we are a company of power users. Macs are very configurable; they just provide better abstraction layers for user groups. They're as simple as you want them to be or as complex as you want them to be.

Smaller devices like the iPad and iPhone are more locked down to provide stability. Do they crash often? Do they get bloated with *ware and slow down? Do you regularly need to reboot your Apple devices?

They trump Windows-running machines, IMO. In fact, I prefer their model over the popular Linux distros as well.

Are they over priced? No. It's determined by the market. Are they expensive? Yes! Don't forget they have a very high brand equity. That isn't something that just happens, it comes from satisfying their user base over time.

You don't have to like Apple nor buy their products but the fact remains: their products sell. If all of your collective assertions were true, they would lose market share left and right, wouldn't they?
Last edited on
Are they over priced? No. It's determined by the market. Are they expensive? Yes! Don't forget they have a very high brand equity. That isn't something that just happens, it comes from satisfying their user base over time.

You don't have to like Apple nor buy their products but the fact remains: their products sell. If all of your collective assertions were true, they would lose market share left and right, wouldn't they?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
@Oria
What does that link have to do with moorecm's comment?
I think he's pointing out that Apple's market share is low, so by supply and demand, their prices shouldn't be so high. The fallacy is that while the market share of non-Apple PCs is higher, that market is extremely fragmented. It's not Mac vs. PC, it's Mac vs. Hundreds of different kinds of PC (of which the Mac is also one).
Yes exactly. however fragmented. many of the fragments are Microsoft's.

Thought, thats for desktop. For smartphones; its a strong mix of IOS and Android
Last edited on
Yeah but we're talking about hardware. Microsoft mostly make software and the occasional keyboard and mouse. And consoles, but that's a different flamewar entirely.
No one ever said MacOSX market share was high, it hasn't been since the 80's. Moorecm said if the prices were too high their [respective] market share would drop.

Generally, it seams that mac laptops are good for programmers, networking, recording engineers....

Mac desktops are good/popular for professional content creators (video, audio, etc...), servers etc. These people are willing to pay big bucks for their equipment. For example, professional recording engineers will pay $10,000 for a single microphone, and another $10,000 for a preamp. The high price of the computer isn't really a big deal to them because it's the center of their entire business, and they need high quality and stability, and good compatibility with hardware they are connected to.

Windows systems are more geared towards business, or gaming. Since windows 7, windows has began to gain popularity among hobbyist recording engineers.

Linux is good for programming, servers and networking, but not really for content creation or gaming.

Last edited on
but that's a different flamewar entirely.

LoL, that made my day!

For example, professional recording engineers will pay $10,000 for a single microphone, and another $10,000 for a preamp.

So they are throwing money out of the window. I don't know about microphones, but $100 is enough to build an ultra-high quality digital preamp with whatever transient/frequency characteristic you wish. It would be indistinguishable from an $10,000 preamp in a blind ABX test. The same holds about power amplifiers, DACs, etc. All >$1000 high-end power amplifiers are not any better than typical "broad market" amplifiers from Panasonic or Sony.

I know some sound engineers using $300 headphones in their studio for record mastering - and they laugh at audiophiles buying headphones for $5000.

But sound equipment is a whole different story, because humans are very easily tricked by their imagination (it is really very easy to actually hear a non-existent difference in sound, that's why you need ABX tests to test equipment). Therefore it is much easier to sell overpriced crap to people dealing with sound, especially that many believe that more expensive means better sound which is generally and most often not true.
A lot of tech is absolutley pointless, theres this big tablet craze, but if you can get a smart little net book that is more powerful at half the price, course your supposed to have both.

@rapidcoder I wonder how much of the tech market is phoney and grossly overpriced
I really don't think that Macs are that overpriced, but I will say that they are not friendly for everyone's budget. :l
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 1... 567