University

Pages: 1234
College isn't just going to classes you know. I've not talked to a single person who regrets going to college, even if their degree has nothing to do with their occupation. You can meet tons of like minded people, get lots of girls, go to parties, etc. Certainly not what most people would consider "a waste of time".
Is he at it again? A while back he was asking about getting a job as a kid. He is just rushing into this and getting damn close to troll status with this kind of thread. He seems to have the problem of having no patience, he wants to have the degree and job now, but not go through the trouble of learning and enjoying being young and programming for fun.
@Zereo

realistic... from the start I have been referring to what I had written from the start. I gave him advice and said if you did this it would make life amazing easy for him. That is all I have ever been referring to the whole time is my previous post. O_o I've literally written 3 post that pretty say the same thing all 3 time xD. Just added more detail. But to be fair for the comparison I was looking at it with two kids who where exactly the same age so that is why I give the second kid 9 years. Also you are right a kid from university could make a good portfolio before leaving university if he was dedicated enough. xD but your right lets just agree to disagree. I hope Zereo you make an awesome portfolio before you finish too. :)
Last edited on
@BHXSpecter:

Yeah I think your right. I remember that thread.
@BHXSpecter
I think that is a bit harsh, he simply asked if he'd be able to take a class. If he has the intelligence, discipline and endurance to accelerate his education then more power to him. For example my cousin started taking college courses as a junior in high school and will graduate with a H.S diploma and an associate degree, maybe Fredbill30 is planing something similar. Or maybe he just wants to learn.
What age do I have to be to take University programming classes? Will I be force to start with a C++ Introduction (I don't want to redo it from the beginning :|)

If you're serious about getting started early, contact your adviser/counselor and get a plan together. If you're worried about learning things and then getting into an introductory course at a later date, all institutions have some form of placement/testing out that you could inquire about.
@naraku9333
If this was the first time he asked this kind of question I wouldn't have been so harsh, but fact is a few months back he was asking if it was possible for a kid to get a job programming.

Think it was this thread: http://cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/79579/

Also in that thread he says he is 11 yrs old in 7th grade. He is obviously rushing into this way too much. He keeps this pace he will be burned out before he even gets close to having a job programming.
I started programming at the age of 11. There is nothing "obvious" here.
moorecm wrote:
I started programming at the age of 11. There is nothing "obvious" here.
Agree.

I think it's none of our business why the OP is asking his question; but we owe it to him out of respect (even though he is young) to answer him to the best of our knowledge instead of criticizing him for having high aspirations.

I think it's our nature to want to rush things. Hell, I was in the same boat he was 6 years ago. I wanted nothing more than to start university programming classes and make a name for myself when I was that young. It's real hard to wait for something you want so badly. So I empathize.
Again, I still say that (imo) having to take a class on programming would suck, and you'll probably feel the same way when you hit Uni age, Fredbill30. Classrooms are so severely limited, by both the professors knowledge/teaching habits, and the overall classroom environment (e.g., the caliber of students). You're able to accomplish so much more by teaching yourself if you have the motivation to do so.
So don't rush it, Fredbill30. You're already ahead; now you just have to keep at it and wait nature out.

As for the original question, I think it's been answered pretty well by a few different people. It depends on the university/college. You'll have to call them up and ask. Someone recommended sitting down with your school counselor, which is a great idea. It's their job to get you on the right track. I'm sure he/she would be more than happy to try to find you some resources or point you in the right direction.
get lots of girls, go to parties, etc
if you want to do well get that out of your system before you go to uni, a history degree might take four hours of your day but computer science will want 10 hours if you want to do really well that is, with top marks
Last edited on
devonrevenge wrote:
but computer science will want 10 hours if you want to do really well that is, with top marks
Well that depends entirely on the person. I know of plenty of people that can get through CS/related courses without exerting much effort at all. You can't really judge how hard getting a degree would be in terms of numbers and time. If I were to go get a degree in liberal arts, it would take much more of my time studying than it would take me for a CS degree, because my mind doesn't work that way.
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I thought I knew what good parties were when I was in highschool and going to highschool parties, but when I went to my first college party I realized I had no idea what a good time was lol. Some of them are absolutely crazy, and no matter what time it is you can always find one :).
@devonrevenge
That's what the first year is for. So you can slack off and go to your lectures in a hangover.
spose ur right, plus im 28 and am going to uni cos I got bored of these fine things :P

I knew a girl who would roll into school on a pill come down and a hangover and she would get straight A*s she works as a trapeze artist in a large circus and is an alcoholic...bad mix
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Alright, thanks for you guys's input. Now I can mark this as solved.
I'm harsh, mainly in part to being an asshole, but the numbers aren't adding up for me. 11 yrs old in 7th grade, when I was 11 I was in 5th grade, and so far locally that is still the age range so that means he jumped two grades. That alone has made me question everything he posts. Thanks to the licker I don't trust anyone that posts especially with that sort of 'wtf' moment staring me in the face.
I'm harsh, mainly in part to being an asshole
I can be as much of an asshole as anyone, I choose not to be, so can you.

11 yrs old in 7th grade, when I was 11 I was in 5th grade, and so far locally that is still the age range so that means he jumped two grades.
I seem to remember him saying he was 12, and if he entered kindergarten at 5 he would be 12 in 7th grade.

Thanks to the licker I don't trust anyone that posts especially with that sort of 'wtf' moment staring me in the face.
Personally, I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.
From he thread asking about work:

Hello, this is Fredbill30 here,

I was wondering were C++ can take me at my age (11). I am an intermediate level programmer in the 7th grade, and I have been programming for about 3-4 months self taught. I am currently creating a game by myself. What I am trying to figure out is where C++ can take me at my age. I have created around 70 programs and I am trying to get into Robotics Club. What I want to do when I get older is to create a software company and a successful game. At my age, do you think I could sell programs, or do something for the school, or get an "apprentice" for a programmer? If so, how could I do it?

Our school system requires you to be 6 to 7 yrs old to start Kindergarten. Otherwise you are forced to do preschool. Cousins from other states said their school system was the same, which is why I said the math don't add up.

Personally, I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt

I don't. This way when they are proven to be fakes I'm not surprised by it. This also makes them have to work a little to show they are serious.

Lastly, programming has a high burn-out rate, which is why I said he is rushing too fast. At this rate he will be burned out before he is old enough to go to college or get a job.
What age do I have to be to take University programming classes? Will I be force to start with a C++ Introduction (I don't want to redo it from the beginning :|)

Don't listen to most of these people. You're on the right track. Keep it up and try to get the best education you can.

Where I'm from, while you're still in high school, you can take courses at a 2 year/ community college. Some of them offer transferable courses in, intro programming, data structures, computer architecture/assembly language, circuits, etc. I'm at a community college right now, about to transfer to a University. One kid, who I have taken CALC 1, 2, 3, linear algebra, diff EQ's, and Physics with, is now a senior in high school.

Getting an interview for any decent programming job will be difficult without a degree, and even if you get one, you'll get paid less than someone doing the same exact job who has a degree.

At the University that I'm hoping to go to, students are heavily recruited by many big name tech companies, and most of the graduates go strait into jobs that start at $50,000 to $100,000 a year.

And some of the curriculum would be difficult to learn effectively on your own. When your studying something like scientific computation for example, it's nice to be learning it from someone with a PHD, who is active in research, knows the most relevant information to teach, and where the field is heading, and how to train people for it. Plus it would be nice to have access to a supercomputer.
Last edited on
I stand corrected, he said he was 11, but that isn't exactly unfeasible.

Our school system requires you to be 6 to 7 yrs old to start Kindergarten.
No, it doesn't. http://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default/files/curriculum/faqfdk1.pdf

I don't. This way when they are proven to be fakes I'm not surprised by it. This also makes them have to work a little to show they are serious.
And end up alienating new members you think may be trolls or inciting the ones that are.
Pages: 1234