asteroids game

Pages: 123
Well when it comes to libraries and such there is SDL, SFML, Allegro, and Ogre just to name a few. More libraries open up as you change languages (assuming you know or want to learn other languages). If you are using Microsoft's Managed C++ you can use XNA to make games. OpenGL has a lot of libraries it works for though, or so I thought, but don't quote me on any of that (except the Managed C++/XNA) as I have been wrong in the past.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
@Fredbill yes i was kidding
IIRC, XNA isn't officially supported any more so it's not a good idea to keep using it.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Luckily we have MonoGame which is *nearly* a drop-in replacement.
IIRC, XNA isn't officially supported any more so it's not a good idea to keep using it.

Not on PC, but you can still use it for making indie games for the marketplace on the 360.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
No sense really since the next gen consoles are going to be rolling out soon and XNA won't be supported on the new Microsoft console.

Microsoft will probably release a new API (I'm thinking) when they launch the new console.
I'm thinking, probably not.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-720-less-about-gaming-than-ps4-says-indie-game-dev-1136735

Also, the new MS console sounds like it is still a few years away, so you might as well make a few games on 360 if you want before indie developers get screwed into PC only games again and homebrew for outdated consoles.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Lol you always have such a positive attitude BHX ;p
Sorry, I only know python and C++ so I'm kind of stuck with PC. I would probably have a better outlook if I knew Java for Android apps and games. Right now, my skills and abilities limit me severely so I have a negative outlook. I just feel like I will never learn the languages I wanted to learn in time to get a job making games to support my wife and son and being 31 (32 this year) I feel like my window in the industry is rapidly closing.
Why not take the step in learning a language like Java or even C#? C# uses a lot of the same syntax as C++ and are surprisingly similar. I just started to learn it a few months ago and was really surprised on how quickly I picked up the basics of it. And to be honest I am really surprised at how easily you can make useful programs in C# compared to C++ (Just don't tell anyone ;p).

Since you have experience in python and C++ you should have no problem in learning another language. Just jump right in and pick a new language you would like to learn and I think you would be surprised at how quickly you pick it up. And if you do pick C# I would be glad to help you out if you are ever stuck on anything, though I have to warn you I am still quite a beginner myself.

Also follow what you want to do and not what is the current trend or what is the hottest language to use. When you are learning what you want to learn you will have a lot more passion for it and will be much more willing to keep at it.
Last edited on
I would probably have a better outlook if I knew Java for Android apps and games.
Whats stopping you? With the c++ experience you have picking up java and android shouldn't be that hard.

being 31 (32 this year) I feel like my window in the industry is rapidly closing.
I sincerely hope you're wrong, I'm 36 now and probably wont get my BS until I'm 40 (39 if I'm lucky).
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
nvr mnd guys im not kidding batch and opengl
http://gynvael.coldwind.pl/?id=129
New Challenge, make the same game in minecraft.
greenleaf800073 wrote:
New Challenge, make the same game in minecraft.

They have a cheap version of that. It is called Sandroids, you see, you are put in a tunnel with a sand roof and suddenly the torches disappear and sand starts falling on you. Just avoid it ;).
lol
that actually sounds fun
Yeah, made it up off the top of my head. I'm pretty creative and pretty fast at it too.
@naraku9333, @BHXSpecter

I'm about to (hopefully) graduate this year in Computer Games Software Engineering.

After several games events, mixing with devs at drink meet-ups, listening to industry professionals and going through the interview process for a games company, I couldn't be more deterred from pursuing a job in the games industry. :-S
Last edited on
Are you applying at mojang too?
Fixed the game a little bit and included all the sdl libs in the repo so you do not need to get sdl to play it

hg clone https://ts_michaela_elise@bitbucket.org/ts_michaela_elise/asteroids

p.s. it is for linux right now
Last edited on
Pages: 123