Advice? :)

closed account (S3TkoG1T)
So, I'm currently fairly new to programming, & learning c++.

I'd like some insight from others as to how I should handle my challenges in coding c++. For instance, sometimes I get so overwhelmed & intimidated I step back a little & avoid my practice. Does anybody feel the same? If not, any ideas as how I can overcome it? Become better at programming using c++ & become more confident?
Just be patient. It takes a couple years for that feeling to go away. Just know that you will understand it fine eventually and don't stress on the time it takes you. Enjoy the ride :)
closed account (z05DSL3A)
The best advice I can give; when you hit a problem that you can't get your head around, stop and walk away from the problem. By this I mean go and make a drink, or take a short walk, etc. Anything that will engage your brain in a more menial task.
True story. I often think of solutions to big problems on lunch break, or while looking out the window.
The way I learned was by finding small tasks or jobs that I wanted a program to do, looking up code and definitions online (usually cut and paste), then edit them to see what happens, of course forming a hypothesis first. After a while of doing this I began to build a better understanding of what is going on as well as a bunch of somewhat re-usable codes snippets.

I usually figure out problems when I lay down to go to sleep at night.
I can't tell you how many times I've had a eureka moment while I'm just out eating. Then my girlfriend calls me a nerd :(

The moral of the story is just get your mind off the problem and chances are you'll actually think of a solution.
closed account (D80DSL3A)
Then my girlfriend calls me a nerd :(

Relax. If you have a girlfriend then you can't be a nerd.
fun2code wrote:
Relax. If you have a girlfriend then you can't be a nerd.

Hey, nerd girls are real and need love too! I'd know, I found one. :3
nerd girls are real

Liar.
closed account (D80DSL3A)
Sorry! I know it isn't really true (despite the stereotype). I was just expressing a little personal bitterness, I guess.

EDIT: A bit more on topic.
Sometimes the harder I concentrate on a problem, the blanker my brain gets.
I will switch to working on an easier part of a program for a while. Then I'm at least still working on it.
Last edited on
advice, learn to add headers and source files sooner rather than later, it seems like a big deal to a beginner but its not, the reason i say this is beginner tutorials hardly ever use them and that causees bad habbits, linker settings still do my head in, if only I learnt to code properly.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Yea, I did the do the same thing that Michaela does. Just trying to do that helps you a lot.
Yea, I did the do the same thing that Michaela does
closed account (S3TkoG1T)
Learn to add headers and source files sooner than later
, I'm glad you pointed this out thank you, devonrevenge.

I'm glad this thread received some feedback, thank you so much.

Inspiration is essential to get away from the fear for me.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.